CS144 Alternator, is this damn thing wired right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It seems to be, the Alternator works, it now has a brand new battery manufactured two months ago, and it still has trouble charging. It will eventually but it seems the Alternator has trouble with the first initial "kick" and doesn't like to start charging. I've also noticed my batt light doesn't work. Could that have an effect?
IMG_20221127_214041681.jpg

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
May want to move the regulator "sensing" wire to the starter terminal. Make sure your grounds are clean, I had a charging issue caused by dirty alternator brackets affecting ground.

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
It seems to be, the Alternator works, it now has a brand new battery manufactured two months ago, and it still has trouble charging. It will eventually but it seems the Alternator has trouble with the first initial "kick" and doesn't like to start charging. I've also noticed my batt light doesn't work. Could that have an effect?
View attachment 211879
I have a CS144 wired up on my Caprice.

I went from a CS130 so it was an easy swap. You went from a v belt alt?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
View attachment 211879
You have a dummy bulb or volt meter gauge cluster right??

Because the brown wire, goes to that. The red, should work like shown.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
If the vehicle charged fine previously?

I would send it back and condemn the rectifier bridge 🤷‍♀😥😥😥

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
With the key on there should be about 12 Volts on the brown wire.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You have a dummy bulb or volt meter gauge cluster right??

Because the brown wire, goes to that. The red, should work like shown.
Regal with idiot lights. Brown wire goes to that.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
El cam is directing you.

If your idiot light isn’t working ,and it previously was, then you don’t have it hooked up correctly.

It sounds like your pigtail has the F and L pins swapped on the alternator pigtail. Look at the attachment. It appears you bought a generic pigtail for the alternator, it will require to be wired differently depending on the setup the vehicle has. I doubt the alternator is no good, but anything is possible.

Attachments

• DAAB2183-9667-4832-952B-7C2E9652EBCA.png
    DAAB2183-9667-4832-952B-7C2E9652EBCA.png
    924.7 KB · Views: 84

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a CS144 wired up on my Caprice.

I went from a CS130 so it was an easy swap. You went from a v belt alt?
Yes. 10/12si to cs. I have the correct conversion harness without the resistor, as the idiot light I have is the resistor.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
El cam is directing you.

If your idiot light isn’t working ,and it previously was, then you don’t have it hooked up correctly.

It sounds like your pigtail has the F and L pins swapped on the alternator pigtail. Look at the attachment. It appears you bought a generic pigtail for the alternator, it will require to be wired differently depending on the setup the vehicle has. I doubt the alternator is no good, but anything is possible.
The odd thing is that it's a decently made plug that came in an original ac Delco package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor