CURRENT 6.0/4l80E swap parts = $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Agreed. Even the shaved/painted factory truck intakes are ugly as sin.

Ive always liked the TBSS cover....although it might be tight clearance under a g-body hood.
My ugly cover. I figured I would give it a coat of hot rod black with a big "SS" in the middle.
IMG_20191120_142253.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have the Lsxr102 intake with matching tb. I hope that the self tuning capabilities of the Holley xmax will help with this. Are you guys saying that it won't or if you are tuning stock computer that it's harder?

I'm using a Megasquirt and the only issue I have is at light throttle tip in. If on the highway and I ease into the throttle, then I have no issue. If I stab it at highway speeds, then no issue. The issue comes with an increase TPS of 2-5% in a 1/2 - 1 second. It might go a little lean or might get a little too rich. The same goes when taking off from a stop. The MS will allow for accel enrichments based on both TPS and MAP changes or a blend of both - I've spent more time tuning this to an acceptable level than anything else. I've had the ecm set from 0 to 100% EGO correction with the same result. I'm happy with it, but it's not as smooth as a smaller throttle body will allow.

Keep in mind that this isn't just a 4.8 or 5.3 thing, I have 420ci's and it's an issue. The local dyno tuner confirmed the issue - he is a both a friend and sharp tuner, and his response is 'live with it or swap TBs'.

As I mentioned previously, I'd put on a 92mm if I were to do it again. My boosted build is different than a NA build in some regards, but here's the importance of a 102mm vs. 92mm - my motor doesn't care if the throttle is at 70% or 100% - it makes the same power once the boost is all in - and TPS % has no bearing on boost building over 50% TPS. So I don't believe the smaller TB would have any effect, positive or negative, on power production, but it would be more tuneable for daily driving.

Reactions: 2 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
What flexplate did (any) you guys use for the 6.0 to 4l80? Do I need the flat one? Extender?

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Got a boatload of parts again. It's getting hard to keep track of all of it. More parts still coming.
IMG_20191121_200830.jpg
IMG_20191121_200928.jpg
IMG_20191121_200916.jpg
IMG_20191121_203505.jpg
IMG_20191121_200958.jpg
IMG_20191121_204340.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hopefully that throttle cable works man, after doing some measuring, I ended up getting one off ebay that fit the bill and I only had to trim it down a smidge. I'm running a flat flexplate between the 5.3 and 80E if I recall, I'll try to find the PN.

Reactions: 1 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Hopefully that throttle cable works man, after doing some measuring, I ended up getting one off ebay that fit the bill and I only had to trim it down a smidge. I'm running a flat flexplate between the 5.3 and 80E if I recall, I'll try to find the PN.
The throttle cable is supposed to be 36inches. It looks short.

Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I am still going with the Holley Sniper, but, based on the advice and experience from members here and discussions with my tuner I am going to go with the 92mm unit. When I take the car for the street tune he indicated it would take a few hours to dial it in. I really do make an effort to do function over looks. The truck intake is just so darn ugly. That is one component where originally I thought I could get past the ugliness because I know it was very effective. Turns out I can't overlook the ugliness and willingly replace it with the shiny new Sniper. I appreciate every ones input. Another positive is I already have a new 92mm TB.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor