custom dash gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
uneek1976 said:
Ritter what made you do your cluster that way was it easier to install?
It is super easy to install and remove :idea:

Another regret I have is using a mechanical temperature gauge instead of an electrical one. I trust a mechanical gauge more than an electric gauge. But if I want to remove the entire gauge plate away from the dash, I have to remove the fitting from the engine and feed the hard line, temperature line, back through the firewall and through the hole for the gauge :?

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
RITTER said:
uneek1976 said:
Ritter what made you do your cluster that way was it easier to install?
It is super easy to install and remove :idea:

Another regret I have is using a mechanical temperature gauge instead of an electrical one. I trust a mechanical gauge more than an electric gauge. But if I want to remove the entire gauge plate away from the dash, I have to remove the fitting from the engine and feed the hard line, temperature line, back through the firewall and through the hole for the gauge :?
I thought about the temp line coming back out as well so what I'm going to do is cut a little slash on the panel where the temp gauge goes. That way if I have to remove the panel I can take off the mounting cup in the back of the panel, remove the temp gauge and leave it in the dash until I'm gone.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
uneek1976 said:
I did'nt want to cut any wires from the back of the cluster so I made my own harness to plug into the dash harness. I used these terminal ends to plug into the dash harness.
1323549867.jpg

1323549937.jpg

All wires labeled
1323659681.jpg

1323659634.jpg

1323792043.jpg

The wires will plug into the dash harnsee like this.
1323654241.jpg

1323635988.jpg

1323636084.jpg
You should make some of these up and sell 'em here:)

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
i'm curious to know ok.. with the cutlass's arent alll gauges supplied with electric power except the mechanical speedo and 2. why is mechanical more trusting then electric.. with my 80 cutlass i believe everything is electric except the speedo because thats the only cable i remember unhooking in the back

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Cutty1 said:
i'm curious to know ok.. with the cutlass's arent alll gauges supplied with electric power except the mechanical speedo and 2. why is mechanical more trusting then electric.. with my 80 cutlass i believe everything is electric except the speedo because thats the only cable i remember unhooking in the back

The gauges that you are referring to as mechanical are really more accurately called analog. They output directly the electric signal they receive from their respective sensors in a mechanical form that is visually easy to understand. They are electrically powered gauges. The other type of gauge is a digital gauge not an electric gauge. It interprets what it's sensors tell it and outputs it in a specific way according to what sensor it represents.

So the electric gauges (oil pressure warning, water temp, voltmeter, fuel level) you have are actually analog gauges. Your speedometer works by directly reading the speed of the vehicle through that cable that runs to the back of it. No electricity involved and thus I believe could be called a mechanical gauge. It could be swapped for an aftermarket digital or electronic speedometer that reads the information from its sensor on the transmission and outs puts some reading.

I hope some of that makes sense and anyone feel free to join in and correct me.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
yea for sure ... that's what i meant analog... and i guess what i mean with the mechanical speedo is the one i had was over 20 years old so it wasnt accurate and bounced a lot so if i were to buy the new speedo that uses that cable and then run a newer cable to the trans would this work like it should not bounce around and be steady? or would electric be better.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor