Custom driveshafts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
As I've recently stated in a previous post, I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with this Ford 9" swap kit from QP, with a few of their upgrades.
After some searching around about it, I've realized that I'm going to need to direct some attention to the driveshaft for this rear end to work.
To those of you who have bought this kit, what exactly did you need to do in terms of driveshaft? Did you shorten it, get an entirely new custom driveshaft? Or did it bolt right up?
If anyone was wondering, my wagon came with a TH350 and I plan on getting it rebuilt, so the transmission will remain in the stock position.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had a new driveshaft made by DTS locally when I swapped to my Moser 9" IMO I wouldn't waste time or money on a stock driveshaft that was never designed for the power you want to send to your new rearend.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't see in the listing, but the standard yoke on a 9" is a 1350 joint which would be a good time to upgrade the front yoke and have a driveshaft built. Try your local truck shop; Fleet Pride have done mine the last few times around.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Pay attention to driveshaft critical rpm.

Critical Speed Chart

speed-chart

Critical Speed is the RPM at which the driveshaft is computer projected to bend or whip. Exceeding Critical Speed can produce vibrations that can result in driveshaft failure.
The vibrations can also cause damage to the differential gears and bearings. The transmission extension housing, along with the torque converter and planetary gears can also be destroyed.
When you take a small piece of steel and bend it repeatedly, the stress will eventually break the steel. The same effect occurs on your complete drive line when no attention is paid to Critical Speed.

1580731713934.png

Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
For what the local driveshaft places charge surely fast shafts / pst / qa1 etc have an "on the shelf" unit ready to go.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
Has anyone done a build similar to mine and happen to have measurements that I can use? It would be nice to have measurements done so I can order a driveshaft and rear end at the same time, as opposed to having the rear end sit in the wagon while I wait for a new driveshaft to get here.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Has anyone done a build similar to mine and happen to have measurements that I can use? It would be nice to have measurements done so I can order a driveshaft and rear end at the same time, as opposed to having the rear end sit in the wagon while I wait for a new driveshaft to get here.
You need to measure to verify length, that way it eliminates any possible variables.

1580894536798.png

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Like was said, its worth taking your own measurements. Ride height, yoke length can all make your driveshaft just a little different. Its better to do it once than have to do it again. I know. I had to shorten a 4" aluminum mark Williams driveshaft for my Chevelle 1". Cost me $500 to have it made. $300 to cut 1" off.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
For what it's worth, we've used Denny's on three projects and are very happy with the results. They are out of Buffalo, NY. Great people. I've spoken to Denny himself a couple of times. They always have a back log so they aren't the fastest and certainly aren't the cheapest but they are very professional and the quality is outstanding.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor