Custom exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
ok, so I really need the help of some knowledgeable members here. I have an 86 SS El Camino with the stock 305 and overdrive transmission (TH200), and I'm getting full custom exhaust. I need to make sure that everything fits before I drop $1200 on it, and so far, everything seems to match up, but I want some extra clarification. Here is what I have picked out (screenshots from websites included)
1) Flowtech headers 1108FLT, from summit. 1 1/2 pipes, 2.5in collector. They are shorties.
2) double hump crossmemebr SUM-770300, from summit. Made to work on a TH200.
3) Flowmaster American Thunder kit, made for G bodies. Part number 817457 on their web site. 2.5in pipes, 3in tips, 2 super 44s, true duals, with H-pipe
4) Flowmaster cats, part number 2200125 on their website. Legal in my state,for engines up to 5.7L.

I will not be going to a shop to have this done, me and my father are doing it. I have no experiance (but id like some, so that's partly why I'm doing this), and he has only done a cat-back 4in exhaust on his turbo diesel chevy. We have jacks and stuff to lift the car onto stands, and he has a lot of wrenches and all that stuff (he is a handyman), so I think we have the tools. My question is, will all this stuff for properly? For example, it looks like the exhaust pipes come together right at the transmission, so would that make everything not match up? I'm not sure, I think I just need a step by step plan from someone who has done this. I was thinking it would go like this: remove current exhaust, remove current crossmember, remove current manifold, install new crossmember, install new headers, cut pipes and install cats, and then I stall pipes and mufflers and tips. Listen, any help you guys can offer is appreciated. I know it might seem kind of dumb for a noob to post something like this on a forum asking for help, but o have asked for help here before, and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks so much guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 321

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think from the crossmember back you will be fine, the issues will come moving forward since your exhaust system is designed as a header back system (meaning full length headers) so you will have to adapt the catalytic convertor to your exhaust and then you will need angled tubing to attach your shorty headers to the front of the catalytic. You could possibly need a couple of flex couplings in there too.
Hopefully you have access to a mig welder and cut off tools to make it easier.
Also I would use ramps for final fitment so you can check clearance issues at ride height.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The thing is even though these exhaust are car specific they will always require some modification especially when there are so many header configurations.

You may possibly need some tweaking from a shop. You might have a challenge with the shorty headers since they may not mate up close to the exhaust but that shouldn't be a problem really.

The dual cats I see might be a problem since these cars only had the passenger side floor raised for a single cat and after that there isn't much room after the cross member. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will be a challenge from what I see with your parts list.

I did a pypes kit which I wasn't completely happy with but needs tweaking from a shop but i made it work with what i had at home. from what I have heard the Flowmaster kits fits very well when used with equal length headers.

I think the challenge will be the cats fitment. I would look at that and figure where everything will sit. Prior to installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor