Custom fan shround request?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pontiacgp said:
one thing you know what you get when you buy aircraft rated products, it all meets a minimum federal standard and those minimum standards are high. I have an electric fan but I am intending on building an air box in front of the rad tho...

Thank the FAA for that. 😀

If you can draw up some plans for the air box I'd be willing to help you, take measurements on what you have for clearances and where it would need to rout air from and too. We can figure out how to mount it last, fabricating mounts is a specialty of mine.

it shouldn't be too complicated cause there is nothing between my grill and the condenser. I want to be able to direct the air to get rid of the high pressure area under the hood

I'll get the measurements and I think it'll be best made in 4 pieces, two sides, top and bottom. I won't bring it all the way to the back of the grill so I can use some flexible material to allow movement and I happen to touch something the bumper can still retract without breaking it. I'm thinking a couple of braces to the header panel area to support it. I think you might be able to modify it to work on other G bodies with some cut outs to match the bumper of the car.

Crazcnuk said:
85CutlassSalonRyder said:
Around $20 for a regular shroud, around $50-$100 for a partially custom fiberglass, and around $125-$200 for a complete custom fiberglass fan shroud. As far as carbon fiber, good luck cause I can afford it! :roll: Hope I'm not insulting you with these prices.

Where were you 10 years ago? :? I've been running around with a hacked shroud, but now I am going to an electric fan and don't need the shroud.

Correction, I meant "CAN'T" when I was talking about the carbon fiber. :blam:

Don't worry i can't afford carbon on my budget either lol. Believe me though unless you just want to spend money to say " hey its carbon" you don't need it.

Example, i'll be making my own dash shell ( cover) and i'm using S-glass for cost effectiveness, with three of four plys (layers) it won't be very thick but it will however be very ridged because i'll be laying the layers up with the fibers running at different 45 degree angles.

Example, a 3 bid ( bid = layer or ply, they mean the same) layed up exactly the same, meaning the fibers are all running in exactly the same way/ degree would not be as strong as..

A 2 bid with first ply running at 45 degrees (always 45 degrees btw, strength of a triangle i can't explain this whole thing or you'll be here all day) and the second ply at 45 running opposite, so in other words if you could see ALL of the fibers they would be crisscrossing in X patterns. And this 2 bid layup would then be considerably stronger than the 3 bid all runnning in the same direction.

Therefore, with the type of typical S and E glass, which is the most common and one of the most cost effective, it's totally possible and done everyday in the aviation industry to use these low cost materials to make structural components.

In the next few days I'm going to make a radio faceplate for a Gbody out of some kevlar or carbon, as long as one of you pays shipping whoever calls dibs gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor