Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I'd definately like to do that to my '79 malibu one day..... never understood the 10Krpm tach, the 8K tach would do, but the price of that abs plastic shadow box alone. woof!
Agreed. The 10k tach is overkill as is the 160mph speedo however, that was the only option I could find for the sport comp 2 5" / 2 5/8" gauges with GPS speedo. And yes the shadow box is also a bit pricey but the are some things we just can't live without on our cars and other things we can totally comprised on.

As you can see I'm still alive because I got those gauges I couldn't live without. My wife didn't want me to die. lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'd definately like to do that to my '79 malibu one day..... never understood the 10Krpm tach, the 8K tach would do, but the price of that abs plastic shadow box alone. woof!
Biggest complaint I have about aftermarket replacement options as well. 10k tack & 200mph speedo seemed to be the most popular option forever when trying to piece a group of similar gauges together. Now they offer the 8k/160mph set-ups but only for limited options.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Biggest complaint I have about aftermarket replacement options as well. 10k tack & 200mph speedo seemed to be the most popular option forever when trying to piece a group of similar gauges together. Now they offer the 8k/160mph set-ups but only for limited options.
I would have preferred an 8k tach & 140mph speedo as my car (and most street cars) will never exceed those numbers. The 160 speedo is a touch cluttered much matching all the gauges was a priority to keep it factory looking.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I would have preferred an 8k tach & 140mph speedo as my car (and most street cars) will never exceed those numbers. The 160 speedo is a touch cluttered much matching all the gauges was a priority to keep it factory looking.
I agree it's important to have the consistency within the gauges when making changes/upgrades. Even the gauge placement can throw things off (for me) & another reason some options are off my list of possibilities. If it works for you, that's what matters in your ride. It looks good.

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
See I'm weird about how I like my gauges, I mean that's obviously what makes it unique to me but like I'm okay with the original speedo that goes across the dash and having my tach mounted under the dash but some reason I hate the aftermarket 3 gauge cluster placement. Maybe it's that they're only 1 1/2 in. in diameter or its the style but they just don't fit.
20211227_174444.jpg

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
See I'm weird about how I like my gauges, I mean that's obviously what makes it unique to me but like I'm okay with the original speedo that goes across the dash and having my tach mounted under the dash but some reason I hate the aftermarket 3 gauge cluster placement. Maybe it's that they're only 1 1/2 in. in diameter or its the style but they just don't fit. View attachment 194573
I'm fine w/sweep speedo's. It's the 85 or 100mph limits I don't care for. I have looked @ tweaking that & swapping in OE gauge options from other body series as a possibility.
The struggle becomes keeping the fonts consistent so it appears like a factory install/option. "Nothin to see here folks".....

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I like the "nothing to see here folks" thing as well. Only the ones who know know. It's those subtle "factory looking" changes that appeal to me.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
I like the "nothing to see here folks" thing as well. Only the ones who know know. It's those subtle "factory looking" changes that appeal to me.
I'm the same way, I like to know everything that's going on with the car but I love to look of it just being a grandpa's car. Something that most people just keep walking by. If I wanted to be flashy I would pull out my Grandpa's Corvette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor