Custom interior parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
im looking into making a glovebox cover made out of turned alminum, just wondering if anyone has done anything like this. ie: radio face plates, cunter consoles, door pannels and anything else custom on the interior. post some pics!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
I haven't made nor heard of anyone making a glovebox cover out of aluminum.
I actually just bought from a guy off the internet, black, nice condition with the key, for a replacement.
I don't think I'd do an aluminum cover (why add wight?).

I have made my dash bezel out of 1/4 aluminum though. Powdercoated satin black. Here's the pics and vid:

6024910238_large.jpg

6024910267_large.jpg

72vmsw.png

[youtube]0snLyC1p2kE[/youtube]

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
wow! what a nice setup, that must have cost a fortune. and the reason i want an aluminum glovebox cover is because my glovebox is all warped out of shape from the previous owner prying on it to get it open. but about the weight i dont really care much cuz i dont race it or anything except for the ocasional street race. and thanks for the sites, ive allready been to tnt race shop and am waiting on some door pannels. thanks again guys.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I was gonna do the engine turned aluminum on mine, but at the last minute just switched to a brushed aluminum look.
100_0144.jpg

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
jrm81bu said:
I was gonna do the engine turned aluminum on mine, but at the last minute just switched to a brushed aluminum look.
100_0144.jpg
I love the looks of that set up...More interested in the speedo area, got any closer pics? I am thinking about doing that sort of thing for my monte and want it to house the speedo, gas guage and probably the oil/temp as well...Only thing is I don't think I have the talent to do that...I looked at classicdash.com Big Bucks there.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
JBreu said:
jrm81bu said:
100_0144.jpg
I love the looks of that set up...More interested in the speedo area, got any closer pics? I am thinking about doing that sort of thing for my monte and want it to house the speedo, gas guage and probably the oil/temp as well...Only thing is I don't think I have the talent to do that...I looked at classicdash.com Big Bucks there.

It really wasn't that hard, for the most part it is just a rectangle. However it needs to have a slight radius to it or you will have a small gap at the bottom. Securing it to the dash is the bigger problem. I ran small screws at an angle on some of lips in the back to act as a stopper so it can't move. I'll try to get you some closer pics, but I won't be able to get any from behind.
Also, what size guages are you planning on using? I might have one of my older pieces that housed 1) 2 3/8 and 2) 2 1/16 guages.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
For anyone who is doing this, what kind of pain is it to run a speedometer cable and hook up the speedo with that custom panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor