Custom Power Steering Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, the answer to my question about thread size was answered in my other post from the other day. The fittings are metric. Now another possible issue. When I had the two lines made for the 81 the flare fittings look like this. Easy to mock up and have made. They look like they belong there.

IMG_0669.jpg

I went back to the same place to see what they have for O ring fittings and this is pretty much it. The guy said these get the lines crimped on the tube so it would kinda look like OEM. These fittings were $15 each. Right thread size but I know I got bent over on the price. I havent tried one in the pump yet but Im assuming a 90 will be the correct one at both ends of the pressure line. Im curious about how the lines get crimped since they have the bulb on the ends.

IMG_0666.jpg

Im not sure about a few things. Since the return line coming out of the pump is pointing up instead of down like the one in the 81 should I buy a straight or 45 degree instead of the 90 and just run the line in an arch ?

IMG_0667.jpg

And what about the pressure line ? Go towards the front like I have in the coupe and come up from under the pump ? What about taking a shorter route and going under the return line right to the pump kinda like this ? Not sure if I'll be able to clear everything with the 90 this way. Plus I have no idea how long the crimp connector/fitting will be. Anyone out there have lines like this made ? Any pictures of what they look like ?? It would be a big help.

IMG_0672.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe take the pump off and cut part of the return line off so it aims closer to where you want it or a more workable angle and then re flare it.

1598522813296.png

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Where did you get the fittings?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Where did you get the fittings?

I bought them at an old school auto parts about 40 minutes from where I live. Two old guys own it and their father owned it before them. Creaky wood floors, a basement and another building full of parts. They have rows of cabinets behind the counter with drawers full of brass fittings. Stuff you would never find at a chain store. Theyre not cheap but they have neat stuff. I bought a set of severe duty Raybestos brake shoes for the Moser rear and they had them in stock. Made in the US. They also crimp terminals on heavy cable.
Plus theyre an FFL dealer for gun transfers. Both brothers have the same political views that I have so its usually an hour talking after a 5 minute transaction. LOL
I think everybody on Long Island must know of Mars Auto Parts.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Not sure if this helps but I purchased & used fittings from Concept One Pulleys. They had various size fitting ends & a self crimp set-up so you make you own. I did this on my dually when I swapped over to a SBC serpentine set-up for the big-block:

The lines have been on the truck for 5yrs now (about 7500 miles) w/no issues.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Not sure if this helps but I purchased & used fittings from Concept One Pulleys. They had various size fitting ends & a self crimp set-up so you make you own. I did this on my dually when I swapped over to a SBC serpentine set-up for the big-block:

The lines have been on the truck for 5yrs now (about 7500 miles) w/no issues.

Thanks for posting that but the lines on my 81 cost way less and all I had to do was spend 30 minutes mocking up the lines and marking the hose/fittings with a sharpie. The rides to the shop and back home took twice as long.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thanks for posting that but the lines on my 81 cost way less and all I had to do was spend 30 minutes mocking up the lines and marking the hose/fittings with a sharpie. The rides to the shop and back home took twice as long.
No prob. Just another option for those it better suits their needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor