MONTE CARLO Custom Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Greetings!
Recently I switched out my 20 year old 12" MTX sub with 2 x 8in JL Audio suns in a box that tuck REALLY nicely up against the back of the rear seat in the trunk. I think I FINALLY need to address the trunk carpeting. Since I posted last on this, many of you have posted showing your custom trunks. I'm ESPECIALLY interested in those with "compartments" on the left and right sides for storage of cleaning and dusting supplies.

Most importantly, how much carpeting did you order? I'm just looking for black. Specific width/length? Amazon?
Pointers from those of you who have created the storage areas or other custom things in your trunk?

I had Also given thought to modifying one of the kits from Dixie Restoration or GBody parts.

My plan was to make templates from sheets of cardboard and then cut up some old corrugated chloroplast signs that my work had old advertising on and attach the carpet.

Thanks,
Russ

Reactions: 1 user

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
1/8 or 1/4 Masonite will be stronger than corrugated plastic.
Don't put any screws through the top of the gas tank!
Good call on the Masonite. Betting it does not weigh all the much either. That would be perfect for the storage areas. Yea, I'll be mindful of the tank! LOL!

Reactions: 1 user

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Yes for sure use Masonite. I used it in my set up and came out great! I got a roll of carpet brand named "Install Bay" from Amazon. Its not world class carpet but seems to hold up well. It came as 5 yards and did my entire trunk. The only thing I don't like is the Masonite is a tad to thin on the beauty board peices I did around my subs. I am going to go with MDF when I hardline my hydraulic output hoses. For my panels, I just used poster board to make templates, once I had them all done and they fit together, I transferred everything to the Masonite and then used a jig saw. Test fit everything again then used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Wrapped everything and popped it in. Not a high end trunk in the world of lowriding...but considering I did everything myself I am happy with the results. Gets a lot of compliments at shows as well. Here are a few pics. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20200622_150351.jpg
    20200622_150351.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 299
  • 20200622_150829.jpg
    20200622_150829.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 336
  • 20200622_150911.jpg
    20200622_150911.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 287
  • 20170611_144528.jpg
    20170611_144528.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 286
  • 20170611_144514.jpg
    20170611_144514.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 259
  • 20180718_175104.jpg
    20180718_175104.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Yes for sure use Masonite. I used it in my set up and came out great! I got a roll of carpet brand named "Install Bay" from Amazon. Its not world class carpet but seems to hold up well. It came as 5 yards and did my entire trunk. The only thing I don't like is the Masonite is a tad to thin on the beauty board peices I did around my subs. I am going to go with MDF when I hardline my hydraulic output hoses. For my panels, I just used poster board to make templates, once I had them all done and they fit together, I transferred everything to the Masonite and then used a jig saw. Test fit everything again then used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Wrapped everything and popped it in. Not a high end trunk in the world of lowriding...but considering I did everything myself I am happy with the results. Gets a lot of compliments at shows as well. Here are a few pics. Hope this helps!
That looks pretty good. Did you glue the piece on that goes around the trunk latch and tail light bolts? It looks great. Did it lay down pretty easily and conform to the shape?

Also, how did you attach the Masonite on the left and right panels? Did you screw it to the bracing?

Thanks!
Russ

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That looks pretty good. Did you glue the piece on that goes around the trunk latch and tail light bolts? It looks great. Did it lay down pretty easily and conform to the shape?
Trunk liner carpet is generally pretty stiff, so does not conform to too much easily. However, it easy and somewhat forgiving to butt edges together. Glue it, lay it down from the highest or lowest point, work out to the edge making small pleats, tighten the pleats as much as you can get, then trim them off with a razor or shears.

Reactions: 1 users

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Trunk liner carpet is generally pretty stiff, so does not conform to too much easily. However, it easy and somewhat forgiving to butt edges together. Glue it, lay it down from the highest or lowest point, work out to the edge making small pleats, tighten the pleats as much as you can get, then trim them off with a razor or shears.
Sounds doable. Thanks!

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
The carpet I used is designed for speaker box enclosures and such. It doesn't have a super thick backing. Yes I glued the carpet around the trunk latch and the tail light bolts. I basically installed it anywhere you could see. I did as fleming442 said. Started at the middle on that panel and worked my way to the outside. Everything is pressure fit. Meaning nothing is screwed in. I carpeted the face of the rear deck then the panel where the latch and tail light screws are first. Then the trunk floor peices went in, then the side pieces. Lastly I installed my sub box and then the beauty boards around it. Literally all pressure fit together. And even with use of my hydros...hopping, side to side and three wheeling...nothing shifts moves...nada. If you want to anchor them. Use interior push clips like for door panels. Drill the holes and install the clips then wrap your piece...then you can push them into place and not have a visible anchor point.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
The carpet I used is designed for speaker box enclosures and such. It doesn't have a super thick backing. Yes I glued the carpet around the trunk latch and the tail light bolts. I basically installed it anywhere you could see. I did as fleming442 said. Started at the middle on that panel and worked my way to the outside. Everything is pressure fit. Meaning nothing is screwed in. I carpeted the face of the rear deck then the panel where the latch and tail light screws are first. Then the trunk floor peices went in, then the side pieces. Lastly I installed my sub box and then the beauty boards around it. Literally all pressure fit together. And even with use of my hydros...hopping, side to side and three wheeling...nothing shifts moves...nada. If you want to anchor them. Use interior push clips like for door panels. Drill the holes and install the clips then wrap your piece...then you can push them into place and not have a visible anchor point.
Thanks! I want to make the panels on the sides to be accessible for my California Duster and other supplies. Maybe a hinged door or something. I've seen some online that look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor