Cut off Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

njRegal86

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
New Jersey
I think I may want to cut my exhaust off, this is because it has been hanging very low and scrapes the ground whenever I take a turn. It all started when I welded in a Cherry bomb glass pack. It didn't make much of a difference in sound and I think this is because I welded it in right at the end of the exhaust where the old muffler was. My question is...if i cut it all off and leave the cat with a short section of pipe left over will it cause any engine problems? I was just going to clamp in a 90* and have it come out the side in front of the right rear tire.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
It will not cause engine problems. However, It may cause you traffic cop problems by not having a muffler on it.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Also depending on your EPA laws, if you have to have your car inspected for emissions for plate renewal you might run into issues. Do your emissions laws state anything about changing original exhaust configuration? Do the do a visual inspection of your exhaust with mirrors? check into it before you cost yourself extra money. Beings I live in Ohio, my 86 is now over 25 years old, I have historical plates..............which makes me emissions exempt, so I can do whatever I want to the car..............so long as its street legal. First thing to go was CATS and put Flowmaster 40s on it.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
You'll be fine. It's really not all that loud with a cat. keep as much of the mid pipe as you can, and rig something to hold the mid pipe up. I drove my cutlass like this for a few months. Open manifolds is a whole nother story.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I had to replace the exhaust on my Olds 260 awhile back and I drove it around once without the crossover tube to see what it sounded like. It was pretty funny. Sounded like a hot rod. I got all kind of strange looks going down the highway considering what my wagon looks like. WAY too loud though. My neighbors would kill me if it was like that all the time.

njRegal86

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah i think im gonna go ahead and cut the pipe and have it turn out on the side in front of the rear tire. The good thing too is that I recently passed inspection in the end of May so im good for two years.

njRegal86

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
New Jersey
In NJ they only do a quick emissions test, literally takes 15 minutes and im out. No visual inspection or safety inspection.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is this a temporary fix until you have the time and or money to fix it properly?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
In NJ the cops can pull you over for having the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels because it's a safety hazarded. I see them pulling over pickups with that kind of setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor