Cutlass 8.8 rear swap - Tech questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutty Cutty

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I am putting a Mustang 8.8 in my Cutlass. I have a few questions... it'll be a 600+hp Turbo LS Strip car.

1.) Are there some Universal coil spring perches that are commonly used? All I can find are some that have a large cup on them and the stock springs wont fit over the cup, like it says it fits a 3-3/8" to 5" ID Coil,

2.) Should I do LCA relocation or adjustable brackets or just run the stocks with custom LCAs?

3.) Whats the easiest way to convert the rear to 5x4.75" Lug pattern whereas it is currently 5x4.5". Should I drill stock axles? Buy axles or could I simply use adapters?

1560775098596.png

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
#1: I got my coil spring perches from Trick Chassis (since I was already buying other related items from them at the same time).

#2: I left the axle's LCA mounting points untouched and just installed adjustable arms (from Trick Chassis, of course).

#3: If you're starting with 5-lug axles, having them re-drilled is very easy... though you'd still have stock axles. I used a Fox-body axle, so I had 4-lug axles which would have made drilling them more tricky. That didn't matter, however, as I wanted to upgrade to stronger axles and eliminate the c-clips. I ordered a Strange axle package and they drilled the axles to my specification--easy peesy.

Nutty Cutty

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I just found out the rear I have is from a 2004 Gt so it's like 62.25" instead of the 58-59" that a Fox rear is and the GM 7.5". This means it's going to be like 4 inches longer than the stock one. To do it right I need to cut it down and run shorter axles. I really would like to get by without doing all that. This is a very budget build. I am hoping that I can run this rear and maybe run a shorter tire so they don't scrub too bad. Which i could also just trim/roll the fenders too. It is just a junky track car im building. UNLESS I can find someone to sell this rear end to and buy one the shorter length from a fox.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Find positive offset wheels with 4.5" bolt pattern. There are a LOT of options. More than there is for 4.75 zero offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor