Cutlass factory floor shift questions

wskirvin

wskirvin

Apprentice
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Was there a difference in the shifter on the floor shift cars or are they universal between a 3 speed and 4 speed? I know the cable would more than likely be different and I know the top trim plate is different but I'm not sure about the shifter itself. Was going to use a B&M Quicksilver, but just can't bring myself to cut a new console. The junk one i had for mock up was fine to cut though. Any info would be helpful!

C

ck80

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2014
Not completely sure why you're asking...

If your question is (for example) if anything on the shifter itself on a 1983 cutlass with 3spd auto is different than one in a 1987 cutlass with a 4spd auto....

Yes. They are different. The plate in the shifter has notches that the shifter mechanism clicks into as you move the gears. The 3spd has a different pattern with one fewer notch than the 4spd

wskirvin

wskirvin

Apprentice
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Not completely sure why you're asking...

If your question is (for example) if anything on the shifter itself on a 1983 cutlass with 3spd auto is different than one in a 1987 cutlass with a 4spd auto....

Yes. They are different. The plate in the shifter has notches that the shifter mechanism clicks into as you move the gears. The 3spd has a different pattern with one fewer notch than the 4spd

Thanks for the info! Car was a column shift and I decided i wanted a floor shift and thats why i was asking. Im going from a 3 speed to a 4 speed trans and wasnt sure if the 3 speed would work or not. Im still building the drive train out of the car so just trying to get info and gather parts before i bolt it all together and realize im missing half of what i need