HELP Cutlass fuel system overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Good morning to you all. The time come has come to address my old returnless-style fuel system. The external electric fuel pump from Summit has served faithfully over the years, but the sound has become a nuisance at my advanced age. With that being said, I have compiled a parts list via RockAuto, Gbodyparts, & Summit to address this nuisance on my next trip home.

SPECTRA PREMIUM GM307C (gas tank)
SPECTRA PREMIUM SP172A1H (strainer w/pump)
SPECTRA PREMIUM ST06 (straps)
SPECTRA PREMIUM SP1248 (fuel pump)
HOLLEY 12-803BP (return style fuel pressure regulator)
GBodyParts G00-AEN-RFTI (gas tank rubber isolators)

Of course I plan on replacing all of the rubber fuel lines in the system, and using the current fuel feed hardline for the return after installing the new 1/2" fuel feed hardline from Inline Tube (OCF8102). So what do you guys think of my plan? Any suggestions?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hey Qdub,

Do yourself a favor and get the Spectra tank without the filler neck. Part # GM3C. Cut out your factory filler neck and JB weld it in place. The Spectra filler neck causes venting issues at the pump when filling. It’s been documented. I did it for my LS swap

1/2 feed line is huge. What HP level do you need to support? If you can do a returnless system the C5 factory regulator at the tank works well.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'd probably get a better regulator. Are you carbed, or EFI? I had problems with the 5/16" return line being too small, and couldn't get the pressure below 9psi. I teed another line to a rear vent port, and that fixed it.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
My car has a Holley 870 carb'd Buick 455 that was built roughly a decade ago. I have the "burping while pumping" problem now with the stock tank.

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I run braided fuel line right inside of the passenger side frame rail right to the block. Cut the line to fit and put an fittings on. Clean simple install. You can probably get away with the 6psi edelbrock mechanical fuel pump, you won't need a regulator or return and it should pump out more than enough fuel for what you have. I've had no problem feeding a 495hp stroker with it. Very simple, quiet and super reliable set up, haven't touched it in 5 years and it was still like new. Just got the 10psi edelbrock mechanical pump and a regulator cause I bumped up the hp and I'm spraying. You can add a vent on the filler neck or get a vented filler neck if it's burping that bad that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor