Cutlass pull handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
Hello friends. I’ve recently swapped my upper door panels for the proper manual window crank panels. It’s the style with the fixed pull handle. Both sides are beginning to separate from the board.
I doubt I’m the only one who have had this issue.

just looking to remedy the situation. Whichever is the best way to affix them back to the panel.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks

Attachments

• FBD2B950-BFAC-4947-9E7F-71F13AF1AD2E.jpeg
    FBD2B950-BFAC-4947-9E7F-71F13AF1AD2E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 160

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could try larger diameter screws or pull the panel and install some thicker metal and re drill to factory size

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
You could try larger diameter screws or pull the panel and install some thicker metal and re drill to factory size
Forgive my ignorance but by thicker
Metal what do you Mean?

I believe these came from an 87/88 olds.Does the door itself have separate locations for these specific panels to bolt to or will they work all the same on an 81?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Forgive my ignorance but by thicker
Metal what do you Mean?

I believe these came from an 87/88 olds.Does the door itself have separate locations for these specific panels to bolt to or will they work all the same on an 81?
Some handles are drill directly into sheet metal plates that are mounted to the door, do your handles have holes for screws to go through them?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yes the handles have two screw holes at the top and the bottom. I pulled them from a junkyard car and didn’t notice any metal plates
The metal plates mentioned are attached to the door itself, not the door panel. What 565 suggested was adding a piece of flat bar to the backside of the door panel and screwing to them.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You need the handles to screw directly into the actual door or the factory sheet metal plates (circled) which are often used for handle or strap mounting and they get stripped or hogged out over time, so what I was saying if that is the case you can replace those with thicker pieces of metal and re drill where the mount holes are.
If the handle mounts to the door frame itself you could add some metal in those spots also.

00D0D_g0rCnZQneFz_600x450.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor