Cutlass rally gauge problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have a rally gauge cluster with just the oil, water, volt, and fuel level not working. What's the common wire/fuse/ground for those 4 gauges in the cluster? The idiot lights, speedo, tach, and indicators all work just fine.

I'd figure I would ask first, before ripping things apart.

Thanks guys.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
No, I don't have a service manual. All the connectors are new to the sending units. The gauges were working when I had it out last Friday. Just seeing if anyone had the same experience before pulling the dash out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the fuse for the gauges is a 20A on the left

Fuse box.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Thanks pontiacgp.

I just went out for lunch in the Cutlass...all the gauges are working! I didn't touch a thing! What the...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks pontiacgp.

I just went out for lunch in the Cutlass...all the gauges are working! I didn't touch a thing! What the...

I do not like problems like that, I like to find them and fix them so they don't come back....I hope yours doesn't come back

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
I had an 1979 El Camino with rally gauges that did the same thing, problem was connection between the wiring harness and the dash custer. Cleaned connections and it worked betterm but not 100%

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys. I'll be pulling the cluster out this weekend and having a look. I'll post some pics of what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor