Cutlass Supreme short header options

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hey, just just had a question regarding shorty headers for my 82 cutlass supreme. I recently had some trouble with the long tubes that I installed clearing my shifter column and my mini starter. I decided I would buy a set of good shorty headers for now until later on when I do a floor shift conversion

I had some headers that I liked at jegs so just to double check I emailed them and asked them about the fitment on my car and they told me that because the supreme models have a 1 inch offset motor that the headers I was asking about would not fit my application. I then asked if he could recommend a good set of headers for my cutlass supreme and he said they don't have any there.

So i did a quick search and I've read a couple people that said that the 1 inch offset thing doesn't actually matter and that most of those headers that fit on the other g-bodies will also fit on my cutlass supreme.

I'm just hoping to find someone that has a cutlass supreme with short headers so I can confirm the info before I make any purchases.

thanks in advance for any help!

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
E-mail the header manufacturer you want to use, they will tell you everything they have to work with your combination.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have used the Flowtech long tube headers (*new and used sets) on at least 5 different G-body cars, including a Cutlass. Now, that being said, they were for the SBC applications. They clear a normal starter and column or floor shift linkage (and both at the same time). No issues with the oil filter or removal either. The only issue is you have to massage the body seem near the steering column/driver side valve cover to make slipping them in place easier and a spacer on the front exhaust bolt, it requires a spacer to support a power steering bracket. They can be installed with the engine in the car. I did not cut the dust cover ears off of the transmission case on any of them. The full size starter fits and is removable with the headers in place. It clears pretty much everything. The set that is on my former daily driver Malibu has about 8 years of service and never had a header or collector leak.

The brand new in the box shorty Hedman headers that came with my aero coupe have leaked at the collector since day one. I just bought another set of Flowtech long tubes to replace them with.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
I have used the Flowtech long tube headers (*new and used sets) on at least 5 different G-body cars, including a Cutlass. Now, that being said, they were for the SBC applications. They clear a normal starter and column or floor shift linkage (and both at the same time). No issues with the oil filter or removal either. The only issue is you have to massage the body seem near the steering column/driver side valve cover to make slipping them in place easier and a spacer on the front exhaust bolt, it requires a spacer to support a power steering bracket. They can be installed with the engine in the car. I did not cut the dust cover ears off of the transmission case on any of them. The full size starter fits and is removable with the headers in place. It clears pretty much everything. The set that is on my former daily driver Malibu has about 8 years of service and never had a header or collector leak.

The brand new in the box shorty Hedman headers that came with my aero coupe have leaked at the collector since day one. I just bought another set of Flowtech long tubes to replace them with.

Thanks for the advise. I ended email a couple companies and basically they all said they didn't have any shorty headers that they would guarantee a fit. So today I'm ordering a new set of long tubes as there seems to be a lot of options that will work with my application. I already have to unbolt the motor to get the old long tubes out so ill just slide the new ones in then so I shouldn't have to do any massaging to get them in. On my sbc the power steering pump mounts only to the water pump so I doubt I'll have any issues with needing a shim or anything like that.

Anyways, thanks again for the solid advise. Hopefully I'll have the new ones in early next week

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Let us know how it turns out. Sorry your first set didn't work out and you had to take a step back but I think a different set of headers was the smart choice so you could retain your shift linkage.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
I will definitely let you know how it turns after next weekend. I am just getting around to ordering the headers today finally. This is the set that I will most likely order http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Exhaust/737/H8096-B/10002/-1 The guy I talked to at jegs recommended it to me. I know its not the most expensive or best quality set but with my tight budget it will do for now. I also have to break my camshaft in still so I wouldn't want to buy something really expensive and ruin the coating with that initial heat up. At least with those if the high temp coating gets dulled or ruined during the process I wont be as upset lol

One of the main reasons that I decided to switch the headers to new ones was because of that factory shift linkage. I ordered a Lokar kit to make my own and although I did get it to function alright It really wasn't something I was happy with. The factory one was just a lot nicer. I actually just ordered the new linkage setup from gbodyparts and they come powder coated so i'm pretty happy to get rid of the lokar one now.

I'm sure I'll have a lot to share after next weekend.. lets hope it goes nice and smooth this time around lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor