Cutlass taillight repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Is there anyway to fix the sun damage cracking on the taillights I don’t want them perfect but they currently look like junk and if I can’t fix them I’ll probably have no choice but to tint them because I’m sick of looking at them.

Also I’ve heard the only taillights that put out better output are the LED circuit boards has no one found any replacement LED bulbs that at least somewhat work better or found a way to make the housing more reflective so the LED bulbs are more effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Is there anyway to fix the sun damage cracking on the taillights I don’t want them perfect but they currently look like junk and if I can’t fix them I’ll probably have no choice but to tint them because I’m sick of looking at them.

Also I’ve heard the only taillights that put out better output are the LED circuit boards has no one found any replacement LED bulbs that at least somewhat work better or found a way to make the housing more reflective so the LED bulbs are more effective?

We need pics of current taillights to see if their worth repairing.
I restored the lenses on my 87 by sanding them down with 180 grit, then proceeded all the way back to 5000 grit before polishing them. I wasn't able to remove all the scratches, but they look a ton better than they did.
20170217_181923.jpg
20170709_165529.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Mine are mainly sun cracked Florida is terrible on taillights
ebc91833e5a869036789375031d41b00.jpg
f705e2929e0e6fb203af99370c959953.jpg

Lots of damage worst case I’ll just use night shade to tint them but if I do that I’m hoping for some effective led I’d hate to be rear ended just for a different look

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Maybe the wet sand/polish then the red night shade (if they still mabe it) or a close match clear red automotive urethane clear coat.

Reactions: 1 user

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Seen a few people out here in AZ where the sun ruins everything do this. They would sand them lightly scuffing whole surface evenly focusing on taking some of the damage out. Then use a transparent red automotive paint, shoot them and let them set up. Once cured wet sand (color sand) them lightly. Shoot clear coat over them and wet sand again. Drop a last coat of clear, wet sand if necessary and then polish. My buddy did his. They looked like yours and now look brand new minus the plastic chrome which we have yet to find a way to restore. And the automotive clear, if good quality will help prevent more UV damage and can be waxed as well to further prevent damage.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Those are interesting thoughts may have to look into that I like that idea although I do like the look of tinted taillights that’s provided of course I can figure out a brighter taillight solution that isn’t circuit boards I cant afford

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Yea I may do something of the sort I just saw an interesting LED listing where they put the premade LED light strips in the taillights instead of the more expensive circuit boards I wonder if that would work?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I did the LED tape in the 67. I made adapter sockets from bulbs, and soldered phone wire to the filament leads after breaking the glass off. It works ok; I need to revisit my connection method. BUT, when they work, they work great. I did 6 LEDs for tail and 9 for brake/turn in each of the 4 holes. Do your lenses separate easily from the lenses? That would be a huge factor in using my method.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/realoldspower/67-led-conversion-t10998.html

Reactions: 2 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I’m not sure I’ll have to look into that but I figured the LED strips would work with a proper connection though is it better to use an electronic flasher or resistor for the turn signals and hazards?

And is every other bulb just hook up LED and go or are there other resistors or flashers required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor