Cutlass TPS/transmission Trouble???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Tennessee
Hello,

Want to see if anyone knows anything about this. My 87 Cutlass Salon 5.0L 307 Vin code Y is havein issues. I replaced the TPS sensor a few days ago.It has the Rochester M4ME 4BBL(i think)carb.Now the transmission is acting up. It doesnt know when to shift anymore and will not kick out of a high gear when pulling up to a stop.She has thrown no additional codes, but if i unplug the new TPS sensor, she shifts fine again. Im 99.9% sure that everything in the carb is right and no vacuum lines left unhooked.I did not take the carb of the intake either when replacing the sensor, and did not unhook any of the throttle/detent cables either.Anyone got any bright ides?????

HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!

Raven87

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
what was the exact code you get?

I think if you unplug any sensor whether or not it's the TPS you'll get the same result of normal shifting again. I think that's because an unplugged sensor causes the computer to change from open/closed loop and goes to a default set of preset shift points, fuel mixture etc. So in other words I wouldn't focus only on the TPS, try looking at other things.

Not sure if this is even related but check the brake light switch and make sure the lights come on with the brake pedal. That releases the torque converter clutch each time you step on the brake. Maybe a wire broke on the harness when changing the tps? Maybe the new tps is no good, or possibly in improperly if that's possible?

Raven87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Tennessee
No, brake lights and lamps work fine.I really dont think its a bad TPS sensor either. Im not sure how the lockup on the torque converter works exactly and i do know that the TH200 transmission has a shift solenoid in it(i think)....Im not sure but seeing if anyone has ran across this before.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I must be having a brain fart .... how do you replace the TPS without unhooking the carb? Doesn't one have to pull the carb apart?

Raven87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Tennessee
You can replace the TPS sensor without removing the carb totally. All you remove is the upper portion(airhorn)of the carb.
The TPS sits in a channel on the lefthand side front of the carb. Oh and the voltage input and output are within specs too.Im bigging to think that since the car has ran for so long now with the light on and the ECM in limp mode she has had transmission trouble for a while but it didnt show up until the TPS was fixed......More input would be great to guys, and again thanks to all for writing!

Raven87

P.S. Hopefully ill have some pics up too, i just cant figure out how to set my picture beside my member name,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor