Cutlass V8 Radiator Top Plates

Trader history (2)

timo22

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I have several sandblasted top plates for V8 conversions on Gbodys . Great for electric fan installation.
$40.00 plus shipping.

timo22
0D3953C1-7F33-4CC8-B2A3-430B807D2FE6.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I'm putting a Cutlass front clip on my El Camino and have the plate (not lost yet). why do the Cutlasses have it but not other G-bodies?

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm putting a Cutlass front clip on my El Camino and have the plate (not lost yet). why do the Cutlasses have it but not other G-bodies?
I've wondered that as well. Without any privvy information, my WAG is that somewhere in the 70s when they designed the A/G body, Oldsmobile engineering probably had more autonomy than they did in later years to make their version of the car its own. It may have been an attempt at a carryover with the metal hold down plate the early and mid-70s Cutlass used. I don't know. Everyone with a V6 had the huge wind tunnel shroud filler piece. It's the V8 versions that seemed to change. Of course, the earlier A/G-body V8 plastic part on the Oldses were still rounded with the metal plate, but later they were squared off on top. It's kinda weird because you would think that either Chevy or Olds setup should fit because of the Cutlass that came with Chevy V8 or Olds V8 uses the same radiator support.

My personal feelings is that while it's nice to have a one piece plastic shroud, which necessitates the need for the top plate hold down, there are benefits when it comes to maintenance by having a two-piece unit as well. Especially when removing the fan/clutch. The one-piece makes it kind of a PITA. Take the plate off and yet still needing to remove the fan clutch bolts and taking the shroud out with the fan/clutch at the same time. Luckily it's not that huge of a deal that you need to to it often.

They do make repros of the metal top plate at 3 times the price, but I believe getting a genuine hold down piece, especially nice used like the ones here, is the better bet. If I didn't alreay have an NOS one, I'd buy one of these here.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My personal feelings is that while it's nice to have a one piece plastic shroud, which necessitates the need for the top plate hold down, there are benefits when it comes to maintenance by having a two-piece unit as well. Especially when removing the fan/clutch. The one-piece makes it kind of a PITA. Take the plate off and yet still needing to remove the fan clutch bolts and taking the shroud out with the fan/clutch at the same time. Luckily it's not that huge of a deal that you need to to it often.
Bad thing with the Chevy shroud is they stapled the two halves together. The one I found to trim to fit my Cold Case radiator was unstapled so I ended up using stainless hex key bolts to take it apart for such reasons.

Last edited:

SS Elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2017
I have several sandblasted top plates for V8 conversions on Gbodys . Great for electric fan installation.
$40.00 plus shipping.

timo22 View attachment 211745
I saw your post after I posted about a fan shroud for a 454 swap, which I'm assuming is what this will fit? This may be what I'm looking for. What shroud works with this for a BBC? Currently all I have is the stock V8 Chevy shroud. I need something to work with a thicker rad.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Honestly , whether you plan on using a shroud or an electric fan set up, these plates make installing a V8 radiator
Very easy. I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator in my Malibu. I just cut the rubber insulators to fit my square
radiator.
Also the problem with the Chevy shrouds and the all plastic ones is that they crack at the bolts that secure it. Also guys lean on them working on their cars and break them. With the metal top plate, this is not an issue. Also the stock cutlass V8 shroud is thicker and sturdier. Looks cleaner too.

II duece

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2023
Honestly , whether you plan on using a shroud or an electric fan set up, these plates make installing a V8 radiator
Very easy. I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator in my Malibu. I just cut the rubber insulators to fit my square
radiator.
Also the problem with the Chevy shrouds and the all plastic ones is that they crack at the bolts that secure it. Also guys lean on them working on their cars and break them. With the metal top plate, this is not an issue. Also the stock cutlass V8 shroud is thicker and sturdier. Looks cleaner too.
I'll take one if still available

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact Admin@GBodyForum.com for info on becoming a sponsor