Cutlass won’t start **Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
87 cutlass supreme original V8... hello everyone just a quick question perhaps someone may have an answer for me. This cutlass was daily driven till yesterday when it started up fine and soon after died and didn’t want to start back up, it just cranks up. Last night it was late to do anything, but I swapped a new ignition module because I thought that was the issue and no it didn’t solve it. This morning I replaced the ignition coil and it started up just fine. I turned on and off a few times with no problems. Two hours later I turned it on and drove it about 50 yards and it cut of running. Of coarse it didn’t want to turn on... back to the drawing board. I went back and exchanged the ignition coil, I put it on and nothing just cranks, no start. I checked for spark NO spark, I replaced the distributor cap because I may or may not broken the brush. My coil comes with the ring connector for the ground, so I don’t need the metal ground strap. I don’t have a volt meter, may get one tonight. However i checked for power with a test light. I’m stunned and tired. I’m thinking of taking back the ignition module and purchasing a new rotor. I have also checked for broken wires. Any help will be appreciated.. the only thing that gets me it’s that it did turn back on with a new coil for a little bit. I hope it’s not the chain. Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My coil comes with the ring connector for the ground, so I don’t need the metal ground strap.
By metal strap do you mean one of these?

1567298284679.png

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It sounds like it may be a pick up coil issue. I have had 3 die out of the blue and no restart till the distributor was replaced. Either a junkyard or $40 EBay distributor is needed. Check the condition of the wires to the module.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So you have the black wire from the coil grounded to the top of the coil using one of the 4 screws that mount the coil to the cap?
If this is correct then without the metal ground strap there is nothing grounding the coil to the plug-in harness.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
So you have the black wire from the coil grounded to the top of the coil using one of the 4 screws that mount the coil to the cap?
If this is correct then without the metal ground strap there is nothing grounding the coil to the plug-in harness.

X2 if this is all stock you still need that strap. Without a ground to the module the coil is just constantly energized, which would explain olds307's coil cover melting

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Yes I had it grounded to one of the 4 screws. When I did a tune up It was like that so I kept it the same. Now I come to find out about the grounding strap that happen to come with the new coil, which I haven’t replaced since I owned the car.. going on 5 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor