cutting springs to lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Before anyone tells me how bad an idea this is, and how I will die, and that my car wont run any longer, ect... I know this isn't optimal. This is a short term solution to allow me to decide where I want the car to sit and how low I can go and still fit my tires. I am looking to lower the car 1" and then 2" from current ride height to see how it works/looks. I have stock 31 year old f41 springs in it now.

The front: this seems to be the easier end. I know cutting the spring it will go right back in place. The question is, how much should I cut for a 1" drop? How about 2"?

The rear: I recall using a 3rd gen f body spring isolator allows you to run a single pigtail end spring, such as a stock 3rd gen f body spring or a cut-on-one-end g body spring. Is this correct? Would you use a g body spring cut or a set of f body springs cut to lower the back end? (I have a set of stock f body rear springs too.) How much would you cut for the 1" and then 2" drop?

Anyone with pictures and/or experience, please share! Thanks!

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I did the same thing, it's more work but I cut a 1/4 of the coil at a time. I cut it and put it back together and then set it down to see how it looked. If I remember correctly i cut 1 1/4 coils but I am not positive on that.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I didn't do anything with the rears.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The old springs are going to be unpredictable as far as drop projections. Additionally, consider this: when you shorten the spring by reducing the number of coils, it will create more heat, thus softening quicker. Ideally, you would want to cut a 1/4 coil, then drive it a few days to let it settle. Obviously, not a quick process.... You could probably get rear lowering springs by themselves.
I'm not a fan of cutting coils. I had done it previously on my 79 T/A, and it would be on the bumpstops after 3 days with new springs; I only cut 1/2 coil. I was considering it for the Pig, but am now waffling on the decision. You see, it rides and handles really nice now, but I want it lower. Am I willing to sacrifice ride for aesthetics?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I cut springs on pretty much everything I own except the wife's minivan.

On new springs I usually go one coil and that is usually all it needs. On used springs I start at a half coil and sneak up on it. There is no set formula. Every car and every spring is different.

Like others have said, you need to let it settle in between cuts by driving it a bit before cutting more.

Once you get it where you want it, then you need to get an alignment.

On the rears, I leave the pigtail on the bottom and cut from the top.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For the amount of work to get the front springs out I would not cut old springs and reinstall them, I would put in new springs. I have the moog 5660 spring and each 1/4 coil cut drops the G body 1". For the rear I have the moog 5661 which is the rear spring for a Citation/Phoenix. The inside diameter of the spring is 4.30 so the F body isolator fits it.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I plan to run full umi suspension with new tall ball joints and and springs eventually, for now I just want to see where I want it to sit and dont want to invest money into the stock suspension since it isn't long for this world.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
UMI just posted pictures of their Green Machine in another thread showing the Green Machine with stock springs and then with their 2" drop springs...

Here's a good pic of our car on 2" springs all around. Standard a-arms and spindles. P/N 3051

3051ab_LRG.jpg

[email protected] if you have any questions.

Thanks!

ramey

3051ab_LRG.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor