cutting stock springs then use spring rubbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
Hello all so I was wondering a few things what is the the most drop I can go on a cutlass with 245 front and 275 rear and cutting stock springs then using spring rubbers to get the spring rate back. I don't think spring rubbers are the correct name but I know they are used on circle track cars

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When you cut a coil spring it increases the spring rate so I am not sure how adding anything rubber will decrease that, maybe post a picture of what you are referring to.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/spring-rate-vs-load-rate/

Your car's weight stays the same, so cutting out coils reduces the new load height for the same weight. But, this reduces the overall load capacity (shorter length of wire with the same resistance to twisting per unit of length), so you are more likely to bottom out on bumps. That's why performance coils use a larger diameter wire (higher resistance to twist per unit of length). The goal is a lower ride height with the same load-carrying capacity (resistance to bottoming out). You get a stiffer ride. That's why the rice burners with the rear tires hugely negative-cambered to clear the fenders literally bounce over bumps in the road.

Attachments

• Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 191

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to calculate the increase count the coils, it you have 8 coils and cut one coil off you raise the spring rate by 12.5%. The coils act as leverage so when you start cutting you have less leverage, meaning more pressure is needed to compress it.

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Just as well buy some from global west or hotchkis. unless you are wanting to scrape the pavement. Then you need some drop spindles. Cutting will get you lower but not as desirable of a ride after. And don't use a torch what ever you do. If you go to global west Web site it explains in great detail about springs. Not try to plug them or anything. I bought hotchkis. Constant rate is what I chose. But to each his own.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
global west and hotchkis springs are over double of what moog springs will cost and from what I can tell you have no options regarding spring rates. I don't mind saving around $200 to order the moog springs to obtain the spring rate I want and cut them to suit.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The good news? The shorter the springs get, the easier it is to stuff them into the chassis....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor