DA shock and tire choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I'm getting ready to for my next round of upgrades. For now I'm going for suspension and trans work to get my launch a little better.
I plan to go to the track on Oct 20th for some TNT baseline runs and move on from there.
As of right now on my list is convertor and a better shifter along with an 8.8 with likely Trick Chassis swap kit.
Ultimately I want try to do some class racing/grudge stuff at my local tracks( Shady Side and Mooresville). Maybe dabble in a little No Prep stuff for fun.
I'm undecided at this point if I'm radial or slick but likely slick if I do the No Prep stuff.
What budgetish DA shock have you guys been lucky with? I've been looking mostly at QA1 and Strange but I'm open to other options. Not sure if I want to go down the coilover rabbit hole just yet as I don't start any serious fab work till after I turbo it.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have Viking Warrior and have had good experience.

If you want to do anything noprep you need the double adjustable vs. a single. They are usually a bit better priced than a QA1. Viking is owned/run by a former QA1 employee and they are both made in the same town in MN.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I used Strange in my car. Had singles up front and doubles in the rear. Mine was a big tire bracket car but went 1.21 in 60’ going 8.80’s.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Definitely going double adjustable. Looking mostly at Viking now. Honestly feel like I maybe be swapping a few things up front now too. The cut 5660 might *not*(edit) be too helpful do what I have planned.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m using the same shocks as 81cutlass with a set of stock springs in the rear on an 8.8. The Vikings are AWESOME is all I can say. But consider that I’ve never used anything else, so others might be better. It took me a while to get the shocks dialed in, and without the help of another member here it would’ve taken longer. When I went from regular stock shocks to the DA Vikings I dropped .3 off from my 60’ and now that they are dialed fairly well I’ve dropped another .2. There might be more left in them as I turn up the launch HP, but I can’t say for sure.

Regarding tires for no prep - no recommendations from me other than you don’t want a drag radial. You need something that can spin and come back in. I tried a MT SS for Jon prep event and once they start spinning on no prep the run is done - I was unable to get them stuck back to the track once the spinning occurred.

You need an ARB if some sort unless you just want to carry the left front for 60’ lol.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I’m using the same shocks as 81cutlass with a set of stock springs in the rear on an 8.8. The Vikings are AWESOME is all I can say. But consider that I’ve never used anything else, so others might be better. It took me a while to get the shocks dialed in, and without the help of another member here it would’ve taken longer. When I went from regular stock shocks to the DA Vikings I dropped .3 off from my 60’ and now that they are dialed fairly well I’ve dropped another .2. There might be more left in them as I turn up the launch HP, but I can’t say for sure.

Regarding tires for no prep - no recommendations from me other than you don’t want a drag radial. You need something that can spin and come back in. I tried a MT SS for Jon prep event and once they start spinning on no prep the run is done - I was unable to get them stuck back to the track once the spinning occurred.

You need an ARB if some sort unless you just want to carry the left front for 60’ lol.
A real deal ARB and bracing is in the plans for sure a little down the road. I'm going to try a blazer style bar for now.
I have been watching a ton of KevinWilsonSBC on YouTube lately. I thought I was pretty familiar with getting a car to move but man he is very informative.
I would really like to get the car scaled and get some springs for the front and just a good shock all around. For my current power level I'm not going to need much but I'll be half way there when the time comes for more power. Ultimately the goal is low-mid 5s in the 1/8 which I think would be fairly competitive here but we'll see how long that lasts.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Still on the 7.5 that is in your signature?

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Still on the 7.5 that is in your signature?
Oh no no. This weekend I’ll be be getting a 31 spline 8.8 center my buddy is donating. I have lead on a couple 8.8s by me. One 4:10s and one with 3:73s. I should be ordering the swap kit sometime next week. Also hoping to pick up a set of 15x10 forgestar beadlocks for a slamming deal

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you want to get in the 5's, you'll need more than 31 spline. But, they should work fine until you start getting closer to low 6's. And to upgrade is not a bog ordeal.

Is it safe to assume that you're looking at Mustang 8.8's and you'll be installing c-clip eliminators in the long run?

Reactions: 1 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
If you want to get in the 5's, you'll need more than 31 spline. But, they should work fine until you start getting closer to low 6's. And to upgrade is not a bog ordeal.

Is it safe to assume that you're looking at Mustang 8.8's and you'll be installing c-clip eliminators in the long run?
Yea as of right now in my Trick Chassis cart I have the swap kit, front and rear vikings, along with a Strange axle and C-clip eliminator kit. I’m going Sn width, with a 15x10 6.5 bs. It’ll put me about half an inch further in than when I ran the 15x10 4.5 bs. I’ll also be notching the frame while the rear is out for the swap.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor