Dakota Digital Gauges ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I am considering the Dakota Digital VHX gauge cluster for my 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais. Anyone have feedback on Dakota Digital gauges?

From looking at their website and manual, it appears there are a couple of switches that I would have to mount somewhere. Anyone have any knowledge on that and where to mount them without drilling holes in the dash ?

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I have installed a few sets and have built dozens of Dakota gauge clusters, from wiring and set up stand point, they are wonderful for most people. I taped the box to the heater duct behind the cluster and extended the factory wiring to connect to it.

My biggest suggestion is to check your fuel level beforehand, I thought the sending unit wasn't working when the tank was just empty.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I am considering the Dakota Digital VHX gauge cluster for my 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais. Anyone have feedback on Dakota Digital gauges?

From looking at their website and manual, it appears there are a couple of switches that I would have to mount somewhere. Anyone have any knowledge on that and where to mount them without drilling holes in the dash ?
I was thinking of putting the black control boxes for VHX cluster and PRNDL indicator where the factory ECM currently lives.

Last edited:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have them in my Cutlass and I’m very happy with them. I spent the extra money to get the analog gauges instead of the digital readout version. The digital readout reminds me of the knight rider Kit car.

1619640386599.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Just a fun little history-----

Years ago I was in NJ picking up some G body dealer literature and NOS parts from a gentlemen who was best friends with the owner of Dakota dashes. In fact he would receive items to "try out and test" for him. He gave me a little history on the business and how serious they were on making everything perfect for the customer, really well thought out and customer user friendly, dependable and long lasting products. A company that was truly trying to establish good customer relations and reliability. After his in depth talk with me, I would defiantly feel comfortable purchasing from this company.

Reactions: 1 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I have them in my Cutlass and I’m very happy with them. I spent the extra money to get the analog gauges instead of the digital readout version. The digital readout reminds me of the knight rider Kit car.

View attachment 174187
That's the version I intend to use, same layout as original, but backlit with white and red needles. Where did you put the switches for adjusting the settings?

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

View attachment 174187
$800 dollars USD? Holy sh*t dude lol.

Those things better last as long as the car for that price haha!

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I have a set in my SS and am very pleased with the quality, look, function.

Attachments

• F6EDC4E6-1D2E-4812-BE47-1EBDADDAF0E9.jpeg
    F6EDC4E6-1D2E-4812-BE47-1EBDADDAF0E9.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor