Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT & Dual Electric Fan Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
After reading a bunch of threads here on the forum about electric fan installs, I decided to pull the trigger and do the upgrade on my El Camino before installing a serpentine belt drive setup. I went with the LMR Contour Fan install kit that my buddy recently did on his Foxbody. Learned a lot doing this install and also gave some feedback to LMR about discrepancies in their install video. But overall it was a good upgrade. Hope this helps someone else out on their project.

2021-02-07-22-45-22_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Nice video and clean install. Electric fans are a big upgrade and I think one of the more beneficial ones.

Reactions: 1 user

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Thanks 88AZSS. It definitely was a good upgrade. I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this Dakota Digital controller. So far is seems to be a great controller but I'd like to be able to utilize it for 2 speed fan control. LMR basically said that they can only assist with questions about the unit wired the way they did it in their video. Hope to have it figured out when I install my EFI system.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I just purchased this controller setup in early summer and am running it on my SS. It’s fairly simple to use it with dual speed fans, you need to purchase another relay and wire it accordingly, the Dakota app made setup a breeze.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
I just purchased this controller setup in early summer and am running it on my SS. It’s fairly simple to use it with dual speed fans, you need to purchase another relay and wire it accordingly, the Dakota app made setup a breeze.
Cool, thanks! What did you use for fans? Any details on how to wire up the extra relay?

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I retained the fans I was already running, Ramchargers fans from back in the day, basically Dodge Intrepid dual fans, I think the Ramchargers ones are rated the same CFM, they take the factory wiring for those cars and the fans look identical. I had a controller that used a probe into my upper coolant hose, worked fine for years but was cleaning things up and replacing the hose, decided to look into other setups. I have the Dakota VHX cluster and it helped lead me to this fan controller, since I have the Dakota stuff already it made the install a bit simpler since I could tap into some sources that already exisisted, coolant temp, power, ignition, ground, that type of thing. I created a whole new harness from scratch though using a new Intrepid plug, finding those cars isn't as easy as it used to be since they are 20 years old now, then new wire to the relays that came with the controller. I'll see if I can find pics. The Dakota manual laid out some wiring examples depending on what fan setup you run so I followed that.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Not sure if these help but the only pics I took, I have some other Dakota add ons, so the glove box is basically a Dakota Digital catalog of things.

Attachments

• 361A48F7-DA83-4A33-B58F-673615B628AC.jpeg
    361A48F7-DA83-4A33-B58F-673615B628AC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 200
  • A1895DD2-BCFD-4826-B264-2107BF3292EF.jpeg
    A1895DD2-BCFD-4826-B264-2107BF3292EF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 175
  • B759C746-E3CC-43AA-9DD9-29174E9E5DF2.jpeg
    B759C746-E3CC-43AA-9DD9-29174E9E5DF2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241

oceanhighz

n00b
Apr 28, 2018
I have a set of the ramcharger fans that I took out of an intrepid from that era and have been wanting to do the same thing, just when I wanted to do it there were only a handful of "premade" options and relays. I have a few things apart now and am trying to do it this winter. There is a connector that plugs into the bottom of the fan that I cut and left about 3" of the wire on a pigtail when I got the fan. If I took a picture of it, do you think you could help me figure out what connector it is so I can replace it or make one with a longer pintail? The dakota and few others make it so much easier to do now. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor