MALIBU Dash cap vs repro dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Long story short, have 2 cars that need dashes, have 1 nice original dash. Have not had any luck finding a Pontiac dash locally, so it's back to the Chevrolet dash.

For those that have used the full dashcap, do you feel they are a reasonable representation of the original, and would you do it again? Especially concerned about the speaker openings, and the radio area fitment/coverage.

I see OPGI now "estimates" the date to ship the repro dash as 12/30/2018. It's a lot of money for most of us, but if the dashcaps aren't really that great, then maybe....

If you have a full cap installed and have a good pic, please post them up.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
$1400, I presume they're from Just Dashes. Too much for this guy, the car isn't that nice or collectible.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The only downside to the covers is the grain. Its not even close to the original dashes. At least all the ones Ive seen. Maybe theres a brand out there thats different.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Probably still better than the irrigation ditches in the current dash... lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I cant really speak to the gbody dash caps but I did put one on my 71 LeMans years ago. And even though the grain wasn't correct it fit pretty well and looked good when it was done especially considering the only alternative at that time was to send my original to just dashes at a cost of $700.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
OPGI Vaporware. Not even a sample on the sales floor.

Robert did a great job on the Elco two years ago. I don't own that many clamps, though.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I have one that I need to put on my olds, as has been said the grain isn't correct. I assume if nobody actually knew it was a cap then they would never be any the wiser without seeing an original sitting right next to it. I had an El Camino that had one and you couldn't even tell until you took the speaker grills off or the radio plate and saw the little lip from the cap. For the money the cap isn't bad in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor