Dash Cap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
Anybody use one of these dash caps?? If so, some pics would be great. Was installation difficult?

Attachments

• dash.PNG
    dash.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 279

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
I have one in my Monte. It looks good and is much better than the cracktastic factory dash, but now that I've fully assembled the car, I don't think I'd do it again. These are vacuformed copies, and all of the openings on mine are slightly smaller than the factory dash. I thought I had trimmed everything well enough, but I still had to fight everything to go back together. I'll be replacing it with a reproduction
dash assembly someday because I hate the fit of the glovebox.

If you do one, use twice the adhesive they send and get every clamp you can beg borrow or steal.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I got an Accu Form cap I bought over 12 years ago & it doesn't "fit" as it should. Had it out in the sun last year all day & still doesn't fit right. It is just sitting on the dash as a dust cover in the corner for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I used a dashcap on mine......cleaned up the original, sprayed the visable areas with black SEM, then tried clamping it on - that worked but I knew when those clamps came off the finished product would have waves and ripples all over the place. A friend suggested vacuum packing - so I got the vacuum out and sourced a mattress bag. I padded all the sharp areas so the bag didn't spring a leak then used a whole tube of window sealer underneath.....the final result made me smile.....I ran the vacuum for four hours - cos no matter what, I couldn't get the bag to hold a vacuum......worked good and didn't overheat....final pic is the finished dash.....
vacuum.jpg

dashtop_suction.jpg
dashtop_vacuum.jpg
padding.jpg
finished_dash.jpg

• Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 8 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
^ Dixie, yes, I am quite proud of the effort.....the final result even had people (who should have known better) asking if it was a brand new dashboard.....

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
^ Dixie, yes, I am quite proud of the effort.....the final result even had people (who should have known better) asking if it was a brand new dashboard.....
Did you install it yet? The thing I have always heard about dashcaps is everything that gets bolted or screwed on later has issues with fitment because you are adding thickness to the entire dash.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I thought about it and spoke to a guy that did one at a car show. He said lots of time to make it look good but to me it was still a bandaid. I have a local upholstery shop and he does righteous work . I have to pull dash anyways to fix an AC issue so i am going to have him cover it. He said that the new stuff they have to work with is awesome I will take pics of the project and post

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
565BBchevy, it has been trial fitted a few times while installing stuff underneath......I do like the fact it feels much more robust with the tight fitting dashcap nowadays, as anyone who has babied one of these in and out knows, the fear of cracking is always front and center.....Its out at the moment, but will get some pics for you in the next few days.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor