Dash Covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
Anyone use one of those dash skins they sell on ebay? Wondering how they fit and how well they stay attached.

You glue them on with silicone. The ones I've seen fit pretty well but most people won't be fooled into believing that it's not a cover when they take a good look at it. Bottom line: it looks a lot better than the original dried out and cracked dash.

Thanks. Not that I'm trying to fool anyone. I was wondering if they started to lift, bubble, curl, etc after time.

Anyone have any other solutions for a cracked elky dash?

If you install them correctly they seem to be pretty durable. The other options: a NOS dash; every once in a while I see one on E-Bay but expect to spend $800+ and there is a company, "Just Dashes" is the name I think, that will repair and recover your old dash but it is very expensive.

The only thing that would prevent me from ever using one is the cheesy speaker grills (at least on the Monte versions). They just drilled a bunch of holes instead of cutting out around the speaker so you could use the original speaker grill covers. Not only does this look horrible - it prevents you from ever being able to change the speakers again without removing the dash. Extremely bonehead design IMO.

Thanks guys. You know it's really strange. All these aftermarket resto parts and each one seems to have a trade off. Either the material is different or the door panels are a different shade than other trim parts. Some door panels delete the moldings, some have different stitching. I can't understand why these companies go 85-90% correct.
It seems no matter what you choose, you sacrifice something from the original design.

I emailed just dashes to get a ballpark figure. I am tempted to use one of the pre-painted skins from dixie monte carlo. I need to change the windshield too (cracked) so I figured while the glass is out, I could replace the dash, now I guess if I do that , I should change the speakers while I'm at it.

I have this problem as well, and have been pondering the fix. I have thought about the dash cover, but locally they want $285. $385 installed..gulp. The carpeted ones may do, but I don't know about the look..

My other thoughts recently were to recover the entire upper dash area, where all the cracks are with a padded vinyl material, after filling in the cracks with a silicone, or caulking material. I would install an aftermarket speaker grille, to cover the cracked original one.

Anybody tried this route??

Used nice dash units come up on ebay occasionally. Expect to pay $100 if your lucky, plus shipping. You'd have to be super lucky to find your color though. I've purchased three over the last three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor