Dash Light Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
My '82 GP's dash has some of the lights flickering in the area where the turn signal lights, brake light, and seal belt light cluster is located. Have had all of the light bulbs replaced in the dash years ago. Am wondering if the bulb sockets are the culprit. If so, I do have some sockets from a few dash gauge clusters I could use or would it be better to buy new ones from GM (that's if they're still available)? I used to work for a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer in the '80's and Chrysler used to have problems w/ the same kind of bulb sockets (they always ended up w/ broken tabs etc.).

Am I correct in that you have to disconnect the speedometer cable from the cruise control servo and then the gear shift lever cable (column shift) to take the speedometer/clock cluster out to replace the sockets? Am kind of afraid to mess w/ disconnecting the gear shift cable as it's so thin I don't want to end up breaking it! It there a trick to getting it lose etc.?

Thanks.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I just replaced all the dash lights on my monte carlo and I used the LED replacement bulbs I purchased
on Ebay. Around $15 or less. And yes one of the sockets broke trying to install the new bulb.
It just pushed right out. All the others were fine. And getting to them required the removal of many
separate pieces due to overlapping hidden screws. But when you get to the gauge cluster things
go much easier. I used the Blue LED's and so far they work great. about a month or so.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You can try bending the contact(prongs) on the light sockets for better contact. Also make sure the printed circuit board contacts are clean. You could use a pencil eraser to clean the printed circuit contacts.

As for the shift indicator cable. There's a small clip attaching it to the shift bowl on the column...using a small screw driver or needle nose pliers, you can disconnect it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor