Dash Lights Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
My cars dash lights stopped working last snow storm and i have tried different things to try to get them to work but no luck yet. I have installed a new light switch an dthat didn't fix it and i have even tried a 7.5 fuse (the dash lights are supposed to use a 5 fuse) yet no luck. I picked up a junkyard speedometer but that is really a last option for me, taking the dash apart at the junkyard was a nightmare because of the screws at the bottom. I was wondering if anybody knew about a notorious bad ground or something along those lines involving this.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
sounds like the circuit board might have gone bad. the first thing to check is to see if the plastic cover gets fogged up in the morning or if condensation is getting in some how. if so that might have shorted the board (well really a tape not a board). i am not aware of any notorious ground wire problem.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
since i got another speedometer, woul di be able to take the circuit board off the back and put it on my existing gauges so i dont have to send it out to get the milage corrected?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
before you start changing things around get a test light to find out what the problem is...it's pretty simple to check to make sure that your getting power to the circuit board with the cluster removed...

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
pontiacgp said:
before you start changing things around get a test light to find out what the problem is...it's pretty simple to check to make sure that your getting power to the circuit board with the cluster removed...

well the whole system worked before a snow storm we had and it hasn't worked since, so i doubt there is any issue there, and its the whole dash too, including the AC lights

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
Did you try a correct 5 fuse? I had the exact same problem for 2 years to only find out it was the fuse. I had to go to several parts stores just to get that fuse (all the other ones had them in a "variety pack" that was $20) but now all my dash lights work.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
chevy94ss said:
Did you try a correct 5 fuse? I had the exact same problem for 2 years to only find out it was the fuse. I had to go to several parts stores just to get that fuse (all the other ones had them in a "variety pack" that was $20) but now all my dash lights work.

i thought there was only one type of 5 fuse, i have tried both a 7.5 and a 5 with no luck (the fuse i did take out was a 5 by the way when it first broke)
the issue is, is that every time i go to change fuses, it blows the new fuse every time.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
well theres your answer!!!! you have a wire shorted to ground. you need to get a wiring diagram of what that fuse feeds and the start checking wires with a multimeter for continuity to gnd.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
or one of the loads on that ckt is shorted internally allowing too much current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor