Dash panel clean up questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
So my 88 monte had its passengers side dash panel replaced with one that had the red stripes and lettering (original is silver) I'm in the process of polishing it up and trying to redo in silver. Instead of buying a whole new panel I was wondering if any of you guys happened to know of a source for thin silver pinstripe like what was on it? Or I've got some silver model paint that matches pretty well but I'm concerned about getting the lettering to come out well since my hand isn't all that steady. Id love to hear any suggestions you guys might have to get it looking halfway decent and what might be my best route!
d262621b1bdf490c8de095c807f840bb.jpg

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
Instead of hand painting it, I'd try a hard rubber roller to get the paint on.
Oh nice! Great idea I didn't even think of a roller! I had like an idea to just lay down a thin but but sorta thick layer of paint onto a flat surface and press it on but seemed a little awkward with the length of the panel, love this idea!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For the stripes top and bottom I used some universal pin stripping from the local auto store that had two stripes thin and thick and used just the thin one.
Kind of this style. I would maybe look into some vinyl lettering for the logo, it's easier to do tough ups than a color change.
1558524274953.png

Reactions: 2 users

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
For the stripes top and bottom I used some universal pin stripping from the local auto store that had two stripes thin and thick and used just the thin one.
Kind of this style. I would maybe look into some vinyl lettering for the logo, it's easier to do tough ups than a color change.
View attachment 114210
Ultimately a vinyl decal was what I wanted but figured I wouldn't be able to find anything but I guess I could clal around and see if I could get some custom made, couldn't be that expensive right? Lol but atleast that would be a easy way to do the pin stripes top and bottom!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used Monte trim on the dash in my wagon. Since I was doing a complete color change I wound up spraying all the black on the bezels with SEM Landau black and the borders the same gray as the dash.
I used 3M 1/16 striping tape for the silver stripes. Its pretty easy to do. Used a couple of toothpicks to help get into place. The hardest area was the cluster. You can get an idea of how it looks here.
IMG_1600 (1).JPG
IMG_1411.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
I used Monte trim on the dash in my wagon. Since I was doing a complete color change I wound up spraying all the black on the bezels with SEM Landau black and the borders the same gray as the dash.
I used 3M 1/16 striping tape for the silver stripes. Its pretty easy to do. Used a couple of toothpicks to help get into place. The hardest area was the cluster. You can get an idea of how it looks here.
View attachment 114228 View attachment 114229
That looks great! It looks like it's got a soft touch to it! Classy looking! Was there chevrolet text on that right panel like mine or did you sand it flat and just paint over it?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Looks amazing! Great work!

Thanks !

That looks great! It looks like it's got a soft touch to it! Classy looking! Was there chevrolet text on that right panel like mine or did you sand it flat and just paint over it?

The Chevrolet text is still there. I tried buffing the panel with some fine compound and a small air buffer with a foam pad and it just didnt look right. I just said the heck with it and sprayed it.
It might not look right to some folks but Im happy with the results. I figured it would be a huge pain in the butt to do the letters in silver. Especially since only the flat would be done and not the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor