Dash vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pskennedy79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2007
Kingston, Ontario
Since 2016 my Malibu developed a driveline vibration that sometimes caused the gauge panel dash to vibrate. Over time I had the wheels re-balanced,
the driveshaft re-balanced, had the T-5 five speed checked to make sure the input shaft wasn't wobbling, and had the clutch professionally replaced ( 2 years ago)
and the flywheel resurfaced and balanced. None of this made any difference, except after the clutch replacement, which did lessen it, but only for a few months.
My friend and I replaced the engine mounts, but that didn't fix it either. Two weeks ago we replaced the clutch with a Luk one from NAPA.
Another friend let me use his hoist, so my 73 year old bones weren't flopping around on a concrete floor. When the old clutch was out we noted the following:
the throughout bearing was very loose, the actual clutch disc had very odd diagonal dull and shiny areas, the pressure plate had a 1 by 3/4 inch piece of metal
on the back side for balance. The flywheel and clutch metal surfaces were both clean with no signs of overheating or abuse.
When I put the pressure plate on, i did finger tight, small box end wrench tight, then 20 ft-lb, then 30, and finally 35, all in the correct pattern. Guess what? No more vibration at all !!!

Car 1979 Malibu Classic all original paint, chrome and stainless. 355 engine, 1991 Firebird T-5 5 speed, 3.73 Eaton posi, radio delete, Vintage Air 133,000 km. Originally built
in Vancouver BC, in 2000, now in Kingston Ontario since 2006
Hope it helps, P
Calender shot.jpg
aul Kennedy

Reactions: 3 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Nice looking Malibu !!
And I'm glad that you fixed your vibration problem..
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

see2xu

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2008
Greensboro NC
Since 2016 my Malibu developed a driveline vibration that sometimes caused the gauge panel dash to vibrate. Over time I had the wheels re-balanced,
the driveshaft re-balanced, had the T-5 five speed checked to make sure the input shaft wasn't wobbling, and had the clutch professionally replaced ( 2 years ago)
and the flywheel resurfaced and balanced. None of this made any difference, except after the clutch replacement, which did lessen it, but only for a few months.
My friend and I replaced the engine mounts, but that didn't fix it either. Two weeks ago we replaced the clutch with a Luk one from NAPA.
Another friend let me use his hoist, so my 73 year old bones weren't flopping around on a concrete floor. When the old clutch was out we noted the following:
the throughout bearing was very loose, the actual clutch disc had very odd diagonal dull and shiny areas, the pressure plate had a 1 by 3/4 inch piece of metal
on the back side for balance. The flywheel and clutch metal surfaces were both clean with no signs of overheating or abuse.
When I put the pressure plate on, i did finger tight, small box end wrench tight, then 20 ft-lb, then 30, and finally 35, all in the correct pattern. Guess what? No more vibration at all !!!

Car 1979 Malibu Classic all original paint, chrome and stainless. 355 engine, 1991 Firebird T-5 5 speed, 3.73 Eaton posi, radio delete, Vintage Air 133,000 km. Originally built
in Vancouver BC, in 2000, now in Kingston Ontario since 2006
Hope it helps, P View attachment 156347 aul Kennedy
Great looking Malibu. Back in the summer of '79, my '79 442 and a maroon version of your car occupied the underground parking garage at the apartment building I was living in, in Dollard-des-Ormeaux, both with factory 4-speeds! Found myself wondering if the more conventional shape of the Malibu, with the 305-4v, 4-speed, F-41, buckets, console, and the polycast wheels might have been a better, if less flamboyant, choice. Congrats on sorting out the vibration, that stuff drives me nuts.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Great looking Malibu. I’m glad this thread came about. My Monte Carlo with a T5 developed a vibration like this. I have been contemplating where to start. I may have the same issue. Subscribed!!

pskennedy79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2007
Kingston, Ontario
Great looking Malibu. I’m glad this thread came about. My Monte Carlo with a T5 developed a vibration like this. I have been contemplating where to start. I may have the same issue. Subscribed!!
I should have mentioned that when running in gear, you could feel the vibration in the clutch pedal, but when you pushed the pedal even a little more in the vib disappeared. Good luck with the Monte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor