Dash Wiring Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well guys, I made a little progress.

First I found the clips that hold the harness to the dash on ebay. I just got them this morning and couldnt wait to open them up. Spread the harness out on the back of the dash and taped them right in. They snap right into the holes on the back of the dash.

s-l225.jpg

I have no idea where this goes. It comes out of the harness by the lighter wire.

IMG_1520.JPG

This one comes out of the bulkhead connector in a separate thin harness. The car had a rear window defroster. Could this be the connector that went to the switch ? I have no idea where the switch went so I cant check.

IMG_1522.JPG

This is where that one starts.

IMG_1525.JPG

This is the last one. Not sure but its on the left side.

IMG_1521.JPG

This is what the back looks like now. Its not pretty but at least I can put the thing back in.

IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG

I tapped into the wire for the heater control light to get power for the lights in the gauges. Im also running the ground wires for the lights and also the gauge ground wire over to the right side. I was going to use the dash mounting screw as a ground. Good or bad idea ? Im open to comments and suggestions. Wiring is not my strong point.

One last question. If the small harness coming out of the bulkhead connector is for the rear window defroster can I unplug that whole thing and toss it ?

GWIZZ

n00b
Feb 28, 2018
Single brown wire doesn't go anywhere. I'd have to look at wiring diagrams to remember it's purpose.
5 pin connector is for the rear window defrost switch, same with the big metal relay. I think all you have to do is disconnect the plugs from the fuse block.
yellow/green/tan is dimmer switch
Check over all the wires for areas that may rattle and use some adhesive backed foam if you have to.
I don't know if you have an old haynes manual but the wiring harness schematics in them are very helpful once you get oriented with it.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Single brown wire doesn't go anywhere. I'd have to look at wiring diagrams to remember it's purpose.
5 pin connector is for the rear window defrost switch, same with the big metal relay. I think all you have to do is disconnect the plugs from the fuse block.
yellow/green/tan is dimmer switch
Check over all the wires for areas that may rattle and use some adhesive backed foam if you have to.
I don't know if you have an old haynes manual but the wiring harness schematics in them are very helpful once you get oriented with it.

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'll pull the defroster wire out today since its long gone.
The yellow/green/tan wire has me stumped. I have to look when I go out there but I thought all the wires for the column were all in one harness on the right side of the column. If I remember correctly, theres 6 female connectors on the column and the harness has 6 males.
Im assuming you mean the dimmer switch for the headlights ?

Thanks for the tip about using the foam. I figured the stuff would be locked in place with the clips but youre right. Now that you said that Im sure theres a few things that might rattle around.

You guys are the best !!! Thanks !

robert garringer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2018
bradenton,florida
i am new to the forum and i have a 87 monte ss. the car sat for 8 years but its in good shape heck the t tops dont even leak.but i am having a problem with the dash lights.every other light works fine i have lights on the ac/heater and ash tray light works. Its just every light in the dash.i took the dash out and unpluged the wires that feed the dash and turned on the runing lights with key in off position,and i checked all the wires in the plug, and only got power to one wire a gray one i believe. i pluged it in and no light. One question does the dash have to be mounted for the lights to work? if not can any one tell me what wire is the ground for the ten bulds that will not light up.please help i am very lost with this one,Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor