Dashboard dilemma! (Windshield)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys. So i have my dash out right now and am installing a dash cap. I've needed a windshield since I got the car and have been putting it off. Actually called a few places with no response. Anyways found a local guy who will do a mobile install so all is well.

I dont know what it takes to replace a windshield so my question is, should I leave the dash out till after the glass installed? I know the whole "well if he is any good you shouldnt have to" however i really do not need the headache. At the same time my car is in a million pieces so I would like to start putting it back together, he's not coming for over a week and the weather is really good right now.

I dont even know if there is a chance of damaging the dash so i thought i'd ask. Thought they use a sawzall blade or cable
cutter or something to break the seal? Dont really know. All the bigger name places i called either never returned my call or needed me to leave the car with them after referring to it as a classic car or needing to check with a manager which makes me kind of nervous

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Replacing the dash would be a little easier with the windshield out. Maybe remove it yourself, install the dash and get the guy to install it?

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
While you have the dash and glass out clean the VIN tag and spray it silver. I missed doing it to the wagon and it still bugs me.

Reactions: 5 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Since the windshield is junk they might use a speed knife to get it out. If you are trying to salvage a good windshield to reuse you have to use a wire to cut it out. There are also power tools and hot knifes they could use but the dash is not in danger.

Agree with above and add it might be beneficial to remove it so you can check for rust or paint damage. Or to add rust inhibiter or paint before the new windshield is installed.

Speed knife is only good for the old cars with the butyl tar crap holding it in. It will break a windshield when pulling it out so do not use it to salvage good glass. It will work fine on all tempered glass like back windows without breaking them. This is useless on modern cars with the hard plastic install, you need a hot knife for that. This is the cheapest way for the average person to remove an older design windshield.

speed knife.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Since the windshield is junk they might use a speed knife to get it out. If you are trying to salvage a good windshield to reuse you have to use a wire to cut it out. There are also power tools and hot knifes they could use but the dash is not in danger.

Agree with above and add it might be beneficial to remove it so you can check for rust or paint damage. Or to add rust inhibiter or paint before the new windshield is installed.

Speed knife is only good for the old cars with the butyl tar crap holding it in. It will break a windshield when pulling it out so do not use it to salvage good glass. It will work fine on all tempered glass like back windows without breaking them. This is useless on modern cars with the hard plastic install, you need a hot knife for that. This is the cheapest way for the average person to remove an older design windshield.

View attachment 210530
The absolute cheapest is park the car in the hot sun, put a piece of scrap wood thats lying around running end to end, slide the seat back, feet on the wood, and push.

I joke, sort of. A buddy of mine who also used to part the cars out would just sit in the seat and kick, no wood, to pop the windshield before sawzalling the body.

Sad/scary thing - the last 3 cars I've parted in georgia, well, once the trim was removed on the inside and outside all you needed to do was push with you hand from outside the car and the glass would lift. The old installation was so deteriorated that it wasn't even really holding anymore. Both kinda scary from a safety and water seal angle.....

Reactions: 3 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Ok guys thanks for the insight. Im paying the guy good money so i think Ill just let him deal with it. And ill just install the dash afterwards

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Since the windshield is junk they might use a speed knife to get it out.
Okay guys I sort of veered off the plan. Gonna rain all weekend so I decided to pull the windshield my self, and it's out now. Used a utility knife and it wasn't too bad.

So now I am left with black sealant all the way around where the windshield was. I would like to do some prep for the new glass since I'm in this far.

Do I just start picking away at the sealant, say with a utility knife? Or is there some other way. And how meticulous do i need to get with the prep work??

Attachments

• 91528420-4396-42CA-A201-D0DBD94A1564.jpeg
    91528420-4396-42CA-A201-D0DBD94A1564.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor