Dave’s 81 Cutlass Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
Hello again everyone, figured I’d start a build thread so that way hopefully some one can benefit from my mistakes/success’! I’m still in the tear down phase so you guys haven’t missed much. Finally blew up the 350 a month or so ago (Blew a fist sized hole in the block and sent shrapnel through the oil pan 🤣🤣)and decided to spend the rest of this year and winter showing the car the TLC it deserves. Here are my plans
Blueprint SBC 400 crate engine
Th-350 is getting dropped off to local race shop this week
Frame being completely redone and boxed. Still on the fence about notching it
Suspension all new everything
All new lines for everything (brake, fuel, air)
Re-wiring car from front to back, this scares me the most.
I have a 8.5 gm rear end that I think I’m going to let be for now besides paint, someone has gotten into it before ( Or at least put a fancy perfect launch cover on it)
Disc conversion in the rear
Some interior work but not much car is already a 8 out of 10 in my opinion

So, add in the other 20 things I’m going to decide to do along the way that I haven’t thought of yet and that’s the plan haha.
304279D6-7C41-4DC3-A4EF-D8CCAA55EF58.jpeg

Attachments

• D4BB9DC4-8E83-482C-B2D4-6F1796181408.jpeg
    D4BB9DC4-8E83-482C-B2D4-6F1796181408.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 91
  • 7CE3D9D6-E66F-4DB9-8A49-30001D71F92A.jpeg
    7CE3D9D6-E66F-4DB9-8A49-30001D71F92A.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The best laid out plans....... So, what time frame in years are you planning? It took me twelve but then I traveled for work months at a time. Unlimited budget, right?
Well, you gotta start somewhere, you can't finish what you don't start (Old Chinese Saying)

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
The best laid out plans....... So, what time frame in years are you planning? It took me twelve but then I traveled for work months at a time. Unlimited budget, right?
Well, you gotta start somewhere, you can't finish what you don't start (Old Chinese Saying)
Looking at around a year, hopefully closer to 8 or 9 months due to not having any major fab work to do and the fact that I enjoy working on it and already spend most nights in the garage. Crate engine aside the budget is at 10k for now but it’s flexible.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Looking at around a year, hopefully closer to 8 or 9 months due to not having any major fab work to do and the fact that I enjoy working on it and already spend most nights in the garage. Crate engine aside the budget is at 10k for now but it’s flexible.
I used S10 front setup and Camaro rear disks. IMO they look better than and work as good as the red Caliper stuff everyone uses (at least for street use) I used Chrysler e-fans as well as GM OEM coolers for transmission and engine oil. You'd be surprised how much you can save with pick n pull parts that are OEM! Good luck and keep us posted of progress pics. You may want to get a big jar and start throwing bills in it cause your list doesn't like like 10K :(

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
I used S10 front setup and Camaro rear disks. IMO they look better than and work as good as the red Caliper stuff everyone uses (at least for street use) I used Chrysler e-fans as well as GM OEM coolers for transmission and engine oil. You'd be surprised how much you can save with pick n pull parts that are OEM! Good luck and keep us posted of progress pics. You may want to get a big jar and start throwing bills in it cause your list doesn't like like 10K :(
I’m certainly not against the old pull a part yard! Love the monte by the way, I actually always preferred the Monte’s but I got a good deal on the cutlass years ago and it’s grown on me! I think I’ll get close to the 10k mark not including the crate motor I’ve been pricing things out and I have access to employee pricing at summit 😎but hey if it takes more then so be it, I want this car to live for many years and eventually I’m sure my son will end up with it down the road!

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I’m certainly not against the old pull a part yard! Love the monte by the way, I actually always preferred the Monte’s but I got a good deal on the cutlass years ago and it’s grown on me! I think I’ll get close to the 10k mark not including the crate motor I’ve been pricing things out and I have access to employee pricing at summit 😎but hey if it takes more then so be it, I want this car to live for many years and eventually I’m sure my son will end up with it down the road!
Yeh, I made the mistake of a spreadsheet with all the cost. Hidden file in the PC so wife will not see it!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
Well getting the front coils off is pretty hairy haha. Here’s how I did it although I would NOT recommend doing it this way. I undid the lower ball joint. Next I undid the 2 bolts holding to control arm to the frame. Those were hard to get out due to the pressure from the spring pushing down, the first one I just whacked out with a screwdriver but the second I had to use a long pry bar to keep pressure on the bolt as the impact loosened it as I prayed it didn’t explode in my face, then I put the impact on the shock nut on top of control arm and she let loose. I chained it to the frame as well to keep it from flying too far. I tried to get a jack under it but being it’s a bare frame there wasn’t enough weight and I didn’t want it to heave the frame off the stands! So get the right tools and don’t be me haha
F4BA4501-4E53-4505-83FB-F07F18BC72FC.jpeg

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
I should add that doing it this way I had to cut this piece off that held the shock in, obviously I’m not reusing these so it wasn’t an issue for me but something to keep in mind
93592E89-38EE-43DA-9846-E95C393E96E2.jpeg

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Still on the fence about notching it
Do it. It will never be any easier than right now.
I think this this(or similar product) would help stiffen up the frame rails afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
Do it. It will never be any easier than right now.
I think this this(or similar product) would help stiffen up the frame rails afterwards.
I agree if it’s going to be done now is the time, here are my concerns:

1. I do not have any welding experience, so I would have to pay someone since I don’t want to learn on the frame of my car
2. I’m not shooting for a full blown race car so is running extra wide tires necessary? Are there any other benefits I may be over looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor