deal of the century ...factory G body swaybar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
happened to totally run across a 1984 cutlass calais in the junkyard today, and it was pretty slim pickings but It did have the sway bars and steering box, but I snagged the rear bar today..20 bucks. Didn't get the front because I think My pontiac has the 1 1/8th inch bar on it plus I have a B4C front sway bar off my 92 camaro . someone had tried to remove the steering box top, and it had been sitting partially opened but I may go back and get it asa rebuildable core.
20210306_161748.jpg
20210306_134540.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I know the factory rear bars are poopooed sometimes because they're not as effective as a chassis mounted bar, but if you drive a G-body without one and then with one, there is a difference in the butt wiggle. Good find.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Well for the price something is better than nothing, This isn't a pro touring car and Im not looking to compete with it in any autocross events, so I couldn't complain, G bodies in the junkyards around here are few and far between and finding a rear sway bar is even rarer. Hell my buddy even managed to find a manual steering box from a 84 s10 for his S10 v8 swap . guy on fleabay right now has a used rear sway bar for 189 bucks ..lol I'd rather spend 20 .

Reactions: 1 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Pardon me for asking but what are those tabs on each side? Where the bolts go through? I bought a sway bar and I'm about to mount it but I don't see those tabs on my car.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Pardon me for asking but what are those tabs on each side? Where the bolts go through? I bought a sway bar and I'm about to mount it but I don't see those tabs on my car.
Those are the spacers that go inside the lower control arms so the dont crush when tightening the bolts and stiffen them up. Ive seen people use pieces of pipe to do the same thing

• Agree

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Those are the spacers that go inside the lower control arms so the dont crush when tightening the bolts and stiffen them up. Ive seen people use pieces of pipe to do the same thing
But the spacers aren't needed right? My UMI sway bar came without them, no instructions to use them and I don't see these for sale anywere. I'm planning to mount my sway bar today. Hoping my day is not spoiled.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
But the spacers aren't needed right? My UMI sway bar came without them, no instructions to use them and I don't see these for sale anywere. I'm planning to mount my sway bar today. Hoping my day is not spoiled.
You will need either the factory spacer or make your own if you are using factory non boxed lower control arms.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Some kind of spacer needs to be used if using open lower control arms. Regardless if your sway bar comes with them or not. Otherwise you will crunch them.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor