debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello peoples: I've talked about this on other sites and with co-workers. Engine hood insulator pads. Why are they there? heat, noise, protection of hood paint. I don't know but what do youz think?
IBBY

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes. Part sound insulator, part heat deflector, part hood paint protection because of prior heat deflection (byproduct, not the prime reason- otherwise you'd think the trunk lid would have that, too), and gives something the mice can shred and make nests in your car should you decide to make it a barn find one day.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Yes. Part sound insulator, part heat deflector, part hood paint protection because of prior heat deflection (byproduct, not the prime reason- otherwise you'd think the trunk lid would have that, too), and gives something the mice can shred and make nests in your car should you decide to make it a barn find one day.
Some of the only rust I found on my car was under that hood insulation... I tried to remove it carefully, to see if I could clear that plastic Vortec cover on the intake manifold, but I eventually ripped it and then went f-it, and put it in the waste bin.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: How many of you have a hood pad? Maybe there's a paint for the same purpose with a pad would be something to think about? On TB they have a cool one I think that includes the turbo 6 logo in the middle. They're hard to find and some want crazy money. What do youz think is there's a shelf life on them? If not hanging or ripped are they good? I wonder if the material is supposed to last 35 years as in my 86T?
IBBY

Last edited:

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I removed mine after an upper radiator hose exploded. Now that I have a cowl hood it’s definitely not necessary.

This is probably thought of similarly to the newer plastic engine covers. Most people just remove those, as they feel they keep heat in the intake area.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I was thinking... do we really need another debate right this minute 🤷‍♂️. But this one seems civil enough.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
hello people: How many of you have a hood pad? Maybe there's a paint for the same purpose with a pad would be something to think about? On TB they have a cool one I think that includes the turbo 6 logo in the middle. They're hard to find and some want crazy money. What do youz think is there's a shelf life on them? If not hanging or ripped are they good? I wonder if the material is supposed to last 35 years as in my 86T?
IBBY
I have a GM hood pad on all my G-bodies. GM p/n 22506796. It's just pressed fibers. Reminds me a lot of fiberglas just pressed together and held firm with women's hair spray.

The big difference I've seen between the aftermarket and GM hood pads is that the GM ones are formed to fit around the underhood braces and somewhat thin, while the aftermarket seem to generally be thicker, as in an actual pad, and are just cut kinda square, no forming or pressing done. They're a PITA to store because they come inside big azz cardboard sandwiches stapled around the edges. But I've got them stored up on their edge as I have no place to actually lay them flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor