Deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

montecarlolady

Apprentice
May 25, 2019
I have been deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper.Decided it will be a G body,not a Monte Carlo,Regal or Grand Prix.I am thinking a Malibu,4 door or a station wagon.Been looking lately and found a few Malibu station wagons and a couple 4 doors for sale.Plans are to have it look stock but with a high performance engine under the hood with a good drive train being a small block Chevy.Good thing is I have the funds saved up and found a race car fab shop that also builds street/strip cars.Showed me a 4 door they are doing for a customer just like I want it to be with a blown small block Chevy under the the hood.Someone else mentioned Pontiac to me which would be a good idea

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The Pontiac or any G wagon or 4 door would be a candidate. You can go as far as your imagination and bank account can handle. I’m envious, 3 -4 years ago I couldn’t find a wagon in my area.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
The 4 door Cutlass in beige is a pretty unassuming looking shell.
Issue I have with the term sleeper is they've been done for so long it's really not hard to spot most at a race if you look halfway close.
Now super skinny stock tires with an awd system to make it hook up & a quieted down exhaust would add another level to the term sleeper.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A Regal four door or Buick wagon would be the ideal sleeper since most see them as a "grandparent" ride.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Realistically I don't think any Gbody is a sleeper candidate since the newest of them is 30+ years old, making a sighting of any of them notable. When I think sleeper I think invisible car. Since a 2010 Camry wouldn't make a great starting point, I'd probably turbo LS swap a 99-04 secretary trim Mustang.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Any old car(or newer) can be a sleeper candidate if you don't draw attention to it and keep it quite.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Cutlasses are easy to find, and still seen enough to not garner much attention.. too common, people look right past them..

Grand Prix will stand out too much since they aren't very common.

-Gonz

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Not to sound biased, but a Malibu wagon or 4-dr sedan would make an excellent sleeper. I'd keep the exterior looking like a plain wrapper 9C1 police car down to the dog dish hubcaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor