Deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gusszgs

Apprentice
Oct 2, 2018
ON - Ontario
This ‘86 Bonneville will sport an ‘87 3.8 TR motor. Extremely solid low mile car. Zero options, with mostly original paint, surface rust only to keep things fulgly

Attachments

• 16FA0D56-F99B-4959-AA93-68BF7E3E7A7C.jpeg
    16FA0D56-F99B-4959-AA93-68BF7E3E7A7C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 151
Reactions: 3 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
A sleeper in my opinion can have a hard cam rumble and exhaust noise and wheels and a cowl hood etc. just not a show car. Looking like a dog turd helps. What makes it a sleeper in my opinion is when it drives the streets often, it looks like 12s, but it really does 9s due to a power adder that can’t be seen while driving. Building a sleeper that only runs 12s or 13s is just asking for embarrassment from every kid with a mustang or camaro. Unless you can keep it ‘perfectly stock’ quiet. Ain’t gonna happen.

Again just my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Some good points are made by 500/600. Obviously, there’s a lot of different opinions on what constitutes a ‘sleeper’. I guess the real fun in having a ‘sleeper’ is doing the build and having something no one else has. That’s what hot rodding has been about since the beginning.

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I had a similar buying experience. 13 years ago ihad been looking for a year for a nice 2 door Tahoe/Yukon . After looking at alot of junk, I go after work on a Saturday to look at a 99 over an hour away. Owned and only driven by a nice 40 something woman. It was NICE. So nice I wasn’t going to dicker the price. After a long test drive by my mechanic, I agreed to her price. To my amazement she DROPPED the price a good bit. Probably never happen again.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I had a similar buying experience. 13 years ago ihad been looking for a year for a nice 2 door Tahoe/Yukon . After looking at alot of junk, I go after work on a Saturday to look at a 99 over an hour away. Owned and only driven by a nice 40 something woman. It was NICE. So nice I wasn’t going to dicker the price. After a long test drive by my mechanic, I agreed to her price. To my amazement she DROPPED the price a good bit. Probably never happen again.
My phone or i screwed up, that post was meant to be in the buyer/ seller thread.

Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
My phone or i screwed up, that post was meant to be in the buyer/ seller thread.

I was getting concerned about your mental well-being.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor