Decoding Axle ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Hey guys,

a got a 7,5“ rear axle from a another guy who said it would be a Gbody axle...i dont have the axle already on my hands

Stamp code on rhe housing:

2GF C283 2

What ratio is a 2GF? Didnt find anything on the search function? Or any link?

Any help highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
The only reference to the code 2GF I found was for a 7.5in 2.41 open rear from a 1978-79 Delta 88 B-body, not G-body.
The chart was photoed from the 1979 Service manual.
DSCN0461.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Hold on... There's an issue... The only problem with my last post is that B-body axles were identified my an aluminum tag in the 7:00 position. It looks like the limited slip tag but with all of the codes on it including the ratio. I'll have to take my Delta 88 out later and see if there are any codes stamped on the axle tube also. I don't know if the codes were reused for later years. I'll research further.

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
DSCN0464.JPG
The C 283 2 code shows that the axle was made by Chevy (C) on the 283rd day of the year on 2nd shift. No year was listed in the code.
My Delta 88 has this tag on the axle cover showing all of the info. Yes, it does have 3.23s from the factory, special ordered by the original owner as part of the towing package but the car has never had a hitch installed.
DSCN8829 (2).JPG

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Are you sure that the code was 2GF? The only reason I'm asking is that the codes are sometimes hard to read, plus 30-40 years of surface rust can obscure the numbers further making letters look like other letters. A good wire brush should scrape away most of it making them easier to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor