Delay wiper swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’ve been trying to swap over to delay wipers over the winter but I think I’ve ran into a snag or three.
Found a delay wiper motor last week and got a chance to test it and all I get from it in the delay setting is a click like the motor gets power but doesn’t move. Works fine in low and high, as well as single pulse but the washer function only powers the motor for as long as I hold the switch on. All of this is the same if I use one of my non delay motors.
What could the issue be? The board being shot or is it more likely to be wiring?

To cover my bases, I’m using a harness from an 84 GP that didn’t come with delay wipers, and a column from an 85 Trans Am that did, everything works as normal otherwise.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When you say "harness" are you saying the wiring in the car? And when you say "column" do you mean the switch and wiring down to the plug from the turn signal/dimmer/wiper lever? And when you say "single pulse" you mean the "mist" setting?

I think that's what you're meaning, but just trying to get a perspective here. In reality, the wiring harness in the cars should all be the same, CD4 or not. Technically, all you need is a delay motor and a delay switch in the column and you should have delay wipers.

To be clear, you CANNOT use a non-delay switch and get it to work on the delay motor, as whatever is on the stalk means nothing. The delay feature is in the switch itself. ALL 84-up stalks can be used for either delay or non-delay. It just makes it easier when the writing on it matches.

When you use the washer motor, it should power up for however long you hold the switch and continue to "spray" for 2-1/2 seconds after release of the washer switch. The wipers come on in LO for the wash too, and continue for about 6 seconds after you release the wash switch. This will do this when you're in delay mode as well. In delay, press washer switch, the wipers should go to LO mode and continue 6 seconds past the release of the washer switch, and return back to delay mode.

The way it's acting, it appears all the wiring gets power when and where it's supposed to. Except the delay, apparently. This issue sounds like it could be one of two places....the switch rheostat itself, which is normally unlikely, or the circuit board. Assuming solid ground on the motor casing?

When in run or accy power-

Yellow is the jumper wire in the motor from the wiper park solenoid to the LO motor side of things. If the motor runs in LO at all, this wire is ok. It's bypassed in HI.
Purple is your HI motor power. Obviously only power here when in "HI"
Gray is your wiper park solenoid power. This must have power any time other than OFF (unless you press the washer switch while in OFF which bypasses it).
Green is your LO motor power. It should have power any time other than "HI"
Pink is your washer motor power from the switch. Should have power any position other than "HI" (unless you press the washer switch in "HI" which bypasses it)

I took some quick pics of the 85 CSM and Electrical book. This may help. Or not.

CD4 Delay Wiper Troubleshooting Chart G-body.JPG

CD4 Delay Wiper Wiring Operation G-body 1.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
When you say "harness" are you saying the wiring in the car? And when you say "column" do you mean the switch and wiring down to the plug from the turn signal/dimmer/wiper lever? And when you say "single pulse" you mean the "mist" setting?

I think that's what you're meaning, but just trying to get a perspective here. In reality, the wiring harness in the cars should all be the same, CD4 or not. Technically, all you need is a delay motor and a delay switch in the column and you should have delay wipers.

To be clear, you CANNOT use a non-delay switch and get it to work on the delay motor, as whatever is on the stalk means nothing. The delay feature is in the switch itself. ALL 84-up stalks can be used for either delay or non-delay. It just makes it easier when the writing on it matches.

When you use the washer motor, it should power up for however long you hold the switch and continue to "spray" for 2-1/2 seconds after release of the washer switch. The wipers come on in LO for the wash too, and continue for about 6 seconds after you release the wash switch. This will do this when you're in delay mode as well. In delay, press washer switch, the wipers should go to LO mode and continue 6 seconds past the release of the washer switch, and return back to delay mode.

The way it's acting, it appears all the wiring gets power when and where it's supposed to. Except the delay, apparently. This issue sounds like it could be one of two places....the switch rheostat itself, which is normally unlikely, or the circuit board. Assuming solid ground on the motor casing?

When in run or accy power-

Yellow is the jumper wire in the motor from the wiper park solenoid to the LO motor side of things. If the motor runs in LO at all, this wire is ok. It's bypassed in HI.
Purple is your HI motor power. Obviously only power here when in "HI"
Gray is your wiper park solenoid power. This must have power any time other than OFF (unless you press the washer switch while in OFF which bypasses it).
Green is your LO motor power. It should have power any time other than "HI"
Pink is your washer motor power from the switch. Should have power any position other than "HI" (unless you press the washer switch in "HI" which bypasses it)

I took some quick pics of the 85 CSM and Electrical book. This may help. Or not.

View attachment 172228

View attachment 172230
To clarify a bit, the whole wiring harness minus the tail lights is from a 84 GP, and the steering column is from a 85 Trans Am that’s been modified to fit in a g body.

It’s likely the board being bad from sitting outside for a long time, but I’ll run through the wiper motor wiring with a multimeter again to be sure. Thanks for the diagrams and the descriptions

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
To clarify a bit, the whole wiring harness minus the tail lights is from a 84 GP, and the steering column is from a 85 Trans Am that’s been modified to fit in a g body.

It’s likely the board being bad from sitting outside for a long time, but I’ll run through the wiper motor wiring with a multimeter again to be sure. Thanks for the diagrams and the descriptions
What's the motor from?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just to clarify for anyone reading this thread, when I said the car harness for the wiper motors is the same, I meant for 84-88 due to the circuit board.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Ok. Sorry if I missed that. I was wondering if there might be a compatibility issue.
Ah, I never said what the motor was from. Went through dozens of threads and a couple of manuals before I tried anything, since I wasn’t sure if the crossover year (84) stuff was going to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor