Detent cable adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You adjust the TV cable according to GM's instructions. Depress the D shape button and push the cable back towards the firewall. While still depressing the D button rotate the throttle lever to WOT, then release the button and throttle lever and you are done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
TV cable adjust procedure 1.JPG

TV cable adjust procedure 2.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've never had to keep the tab depressed except for "resetting" the cable. Then just grab the carb linkage and go to full throttle by hand (not from inside the car) and you should hear the cable ratchet itself into the correct position. If you don't hear it "click" into position, check it to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

Ensure you have the CORRECT TV cable as well. The dealership screwed up one time when I had the 84 H/O transmission rebuilt and sent the trans shop a diesel TV cable by mistake. Trans guy knew it wasn't right cuz it was too long. He clamped it off and got it to work until I could get the right cable.

GM p/n 25508262 is the correct cable for the 85 442.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I've never had to keep the tab depressed except for "resetting" the cable. Then just grab the carb linkage and go to full throttle by hand (not from inside the car) and you should hear the cable ratchet itself into the correct position. If you don't hear it "click" into position, check it to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

Ensure you have the CORRECT TV cable as well. The dealership screwed up one time when I had the 84 H/O transmission rebuilt and sent the trans shop a diesel TV cable by mistake. Trans guy knew it wasn't right cuz it was too long. He clamped it off and got it to work until I could get the right cable.

GM p/n 25508262 is the correct cable for the 85 442.

There are two types of TV cables, those that self ratchet and those that don't. The one for my 1986 L69 / 2004R is non self ratcheting. The button must be kept depressed while pulling the throttle lever foreward for the non ratcheting type cables. Many repair manuals lack this info. Also even the self ratcheting cables can become sticky from age and not ratchet correctly when readjusting.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There are two types of TV cables, those that self ratchet and those that don't. The one for my 1986 L69 / 2004R is non self ratcheting. The button must be kept depressed while pulling the throttle lever foreward for the non ratcheting type cables. Many repair manuals lack this info. Also even the self ratcheting cables can become sticky from age and not ratchet correctly when readjusting.
I guess it makes it easier for a change to have an Olds. :)

There's only one GM part number for the TV cable on a 1983-88 G-body 307 VIN Y and 9s with 200C/200-4R. P/N 25508262 (AA code). And that one ratchets. Never saw an AA coded cable not have the ratcheting feature. I've got like a dozen or so of them and they all have the ratchet. And the procedure above is straight from the 1985 CSM. The CSM doesn't lack info about pressing the tab both ways because it's not required for this application.

If it's another car, or aftermarket part, I can't speak to them.

But in this case, if the correct GM AA code cable is used, it should be the ratcheting style. If it don't ratchet, something's wrong. Then it's probably time to get a new cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor