Determining rear axle wear? Measurements needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
How does one determine whether rear axles are needing replacing? I have my axles pulled (I am replacing rotted out dust shields) and the axles are showing some signs of wear (what I would consider normal I think). So how does on make a decision as to whether or not to put the axles back in, or replace them? Same thing with axles bearings...Is there a micrometer spec/tolerance that can help me in my decision? Is anyone turning down the axles and installing a different size bearing? Need some opinions....

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you can see any irregularity in the bearing surface it's time to replace them. It should be shiny and smooth. Use your thumbnail to make sure the surface is absolutely smooth. You can buy some time with offset "repair bearings".

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
usually oil passing a seal is an indication the bearing has worn a groove in the axle. If there is a groove there is a way of using the axle by replacing the bearing with an axle saver bearing. It's a bearing and seal assembly that rides on a different portion of the axle

RearAxleDrawningandCallouts.jpg

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
Any particular manufacturer/part nbr for the "repair" route you mentioned (where the bearing creates a brand new roller path)? The axles are 26 spline and the axle housing is a 1988 Monte 3.73.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
PonticacGP, I bought the axle savers. BCA/National Bearing Part # RP-5707. It looks very similar to the diagram you posted. Since you seem to be familiar with these bearings, what is the purpose of the "inside" seal. By inside I mean the seal that is closest to the differential. On the original bearing, there is only and outside seal. On this one piece unit there is an outside (wheel side) seal, an o-ring that is on the outer diameter of the bearing assembly and an inside seal. I am wondering why the inside seal. Wouldn't it be better to remove this inside seal to allow lube to bathe the bearing?? Appreciate your thoughts or anyone else who has installed these savers.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have not seen one with an inside seal. We used them on the left side racing circle track. The axles would snap with the load on the axle in the corner so we used them to put the load nearer to the axle flange.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
PontiacGP, here are two pics. One is the inside view and one is the outside view. Note seal on both inside and outside. What would you do if you were me? Remove inside seal to allow diff lube to bathe the bearing and trust the very small outside seal to hold, or keep the unit as is and trust the little bit of grease they prelubed it with will be adequate. This bearing area will not get any additional lube after install if I don't remove the inside seal.

Attachments

• inside diff side.JPG
    inside diff side.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 404
  • wheel side.JPG
    wheel side.JPG
    790.1 KB · Views: 412

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd leave it as it is. It looks like an upgraded design of the ones we used about 6 years ago. I imagine it's designed to allow oil to seep by that inner seal and it's just there to prevent a flood of oil hitting the outer seal when the can is cornering. If you have any concerns why not ask the manufacturer about them. But I wouldn't have any worries. There are forums with guys talking about the axle saver bearings and I have not seen any complaints..

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive ... 79146.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor