Detroit Auto Show Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
So what are everyone's thoughts on the cars at the Detroit Auto Show this year? Here's my thoughts on the highlights that I caught-

1. New Honda Accord is very sharp, looks completely new without being boy-racer, unlike it's Civic brethren. Car of the Year Award was well deserved.

2. Ford Bullitt Mustang- I don't know why the press made such a big deal about it. Ford does a Bullitt Mustang every few years and they always looks the same. I didn't think it was anything special.

3. New Toyota Avalon- looks great on the outside, and even better on the inside. I think it will definitely be stealing some sales from Mercedes Benz and the other luxury manufacturers. Leaps and bounds ahead of the outgoing model.

4. New Ford Ranger- I was really disappointed that they didn't redesign the exterior sheet metal for the US market. Ford initially said the US would get completely unique sheet metal. Yeah, they tweaked the front clip a little bit, but it still looks just like the Euro spec version. The truck looks too European IMO. I was really hoping for a mini-me F-150.

5. New Dodge Ram (excuse me, just "Ram") looks okay. I don't know if I like it as much as the previous generation, but either way, it was way overdue for a redesign. Did they have to get rid of the cross hair grille though? It finally comes with 6 lug wheels on the half ton, I think Ram was the last one to use 5 lug wheels on a full size.

6. The 2019 Silverado is hideous. Maybe the ugliest vehicle to come out since the Aztek? What in God's name was GM thinking? I really like the looks of the current Silverado, it looked distinctly Chevrolet, and almost retro. I almost can't believe this thing is going to make it to production. And meanwhile the F-150 is a really sharp looking truck. Maybe I just don't know style when I see it, but I think this new look might hurt Chevy's sales numbers. I don't know how they expect salesmen to sell trucks that look like they are inbred.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I actually don't hate the new Silverado. The outgoing model was starting to look a little dated, IMHO. Curious to hear the output specs on the engines, especially the new I-6 diesel. In regards to the Ranger, yeah, typical Ford hype machine about promising ours would look different than the global model. I liked the looks of the global model, so NBD to me. New Ram looks more contemporary/futuristic, but less distinct in some ways. The "big rig" fenders have evolved to the point where it really doesn't look any different than other trucks on the market.

Re: Bullitt - Mustang thrives on special editions, and it has been 10 years since the last one, so was kind of expected. Avalon/Accord: Meh. Midsize sedans are kind of a commodity to me, and they're becoming less important in the greater scheme of things.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
So do I need an 8ft ladder to work on the engine or am I better off just lowering myself down from the ceiling?
I mean are they trying to keep the engine from ever being seen or are they just trying to see how aerodynamic they can make a flat wall?
2019-chevrolet-silverado-001.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Also, how many people have actually seen Bullit these days and are big enough fans of it to warrant making a Bullit Mustang? I feel like the Bullit Mustang is just going to remind kids of older Bullit Mustangs. Steve McQueen who?

Maybe I should stop talking; I'm sounding like a bit of a crank.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
307 Regal, it's not just the Silverado. Almost all the new full-size trucks have gotten ridiculously large. This is coming from an Avalanche driver! My Avy looks positively petite compared to the latest trucks.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
307 Regal, it's not just the Silverado. Almost all the new full-size trucks have gotten ridiculously large. This is coming from an Avalanche driver! My Avy looks positively petite compared to the latest trucks.
I sure wouldn't mind a truck, so that I could trailer my car to races, but I sure don't want to drive a yacht with wheels either. I may not be able to afford a new truck, but one day they'll be used trucks and that's all I'll have to choose from. :/

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
So what are everyone's thoughts on the cars at the Detroit Auto Show this year? Here's my thoughts on the highlights that I caught-

4. New Ford Ranger- I was really disappointed that they didn't redesign the exterior sheet metal for the US market. Ford initially said the US would get completely unique sheet metal. Yeah, they tweaked the front clip a little bit, but it still looks just like the Euro spec version. The truck looks too European IMO. I was really hoping for a mini-me F-150.

I hadn't realized that Ford was bringing back the Ranger. I will need to see one in person, but a quick look online it doesn't look bad. It doesn't look any worse that the Canyon/Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor