Did Gm Factory install Hurst shifters in 1978??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Greetings to all! I would like to ask if anyone could tell me, if GM Factory installed Hurst shifter's in 1978? I recently purchased a 1978 Buick Century Sport Coupe with the factory 4 speed, it has a "Hurst" shifter. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I attached a not so great picture, if the picture was better you would be able to see on the side of the chrome shift handle it says HURST.

Attachments

• 78 buick sport coupe 2.png
    78 buick sport coupe 2.png
    576.4 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Some cars did come with Hurst shifters, most with the Inland copy. The shifter body will have either Hurst or ITM stamped on it. Pull the boot & look to she how the stick is mounted to the shifter unit. The O.E. ones are retained with a lock clip, over the counter ones use two bolts.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Some cars did come with Hurst shifters, most with the Inland copy. The shifter body will have either Hurst or ITM stamped on it. Pull the boot & look to she how the stick is mounted to the shifter unit. The O.E. ones are retained with a lock clip, over the counter ones use two bolts.
Really Appreciate you taking the time to explain! I will have to look tonight or this weekend and will update Monday! :) Thanks again!!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Yes they did. I have a factory installed Hurst shifter from a '78 Cutlass here. As Pagrunt has said, the lever clips into the shifter body.

Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
What did you mean by "most with the inland copy" ?

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Yes they did. I have a factory installed Hurst shifter from a '78 Cutlass here. As Pagrunt has said, the lever clips into the shifter body.
Awesome thank you!! Are the "factory "hurst" shifters rare??

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I have a 78 Monte Carlo that my dad special ordered with the 4-speed saginaw.... it was not a hurst shifter...

I have since replaced it with a Muncie M22, the original shifter is at my parents house. if i remember right it was a tool company manufacturer stamped on the side of shifter, but it definitely wasn't made by Hurst.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
My shifter came from a '79 Grand Am and its a Hurst. It will have the standard HURST on the handle itself. I don't think that variation would be on the build sheet. Probably a function of what boxes got sent to what factory.

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
My shifter came from a '79 Grand Am and its a Hurst. It will have the standard HURST on the handle itself. I don't think that variation would be on the build sheet. Probably a function of what boxes got sent to what factory.
Appreciate that! I will check this weekend and get a few pics too and give an update. Thanks again for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor