Did Gm Factory install Hurst shifters in 1978??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
PO= Previous Owner. But I agree that is modified. Someone removed the 2 shims and rubber insulator and added that thick piece of metal to bolt it solid.
So it is a Hurst installed factory set up, yet has been drilled to make the unit more tight by the PO, is this correct? :) I have some shots of the outside, no engine shots yet. Ill put a coupe in my media now.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's a Hurst handle, anyway. My older Hurst shifters have covers on the body; I don't know about factory G units. You really need to get a part number off of it to be sure.

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
It's a Hurst handle, anyway. My older Hurst shifters have covers on the body; I don't know about factory G units. You really need to get a part number off of it to be sure.
I know its DEFIANTLY not a ITM, and looks to be as the Hurts base does. Without tearing it all apart, is there a place the part # would be?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That is a OE type. Like others have said it was drilled out guessing for reasons of removing the lever, messing up the retainer, then fixing with the bolts, Atleast someone put some thought into it instead of welding it together like some seen at swap meets. I went out & got some pics of my over ther counter Comp Plus to show the differences. The bolt plate has fine threaded holes (5/16-24) Even though it was new I replaced the bolts mine has with actual grade five since the included ones wasn't marked on the heads (all included bolts was replaced cause none were.) The stick is the round one I picked up years back.

Attachments

• DSCN3820.JPG
    DSCN3820.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 276
  • DSCN3821.JPG
    DSCN3821.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 253
  • DSCN3823.JPG
    DSCN3823.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 258
  • DSCN3822.JPG
    DSCN3822.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 282
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
That is a OE type. Like others have said it was drilled out guessing for reasons of removing the lever, messing up the retainer, then fixing with the bolts, Atleast someone put some thought into it instead of welding it together like some seen at swap meets. I went out & got some pics of my over ther counter Comp Plus to show the differences. The bolt plate has fine threaded holes (5/16-24) Even though it was new I replaced the bolts mine has with actual grade five since the included ones wasn't marked on the heads (all included bolts was replaced cause none were.) The stick is the round one I picked up years back.
I GREATLY appreciate you going out and getting pictures of yours for me! Thanks so much for clarifying what I have! I'm assuming its a rare option especially on a Buick?? lol

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Po
Where are the pictures of the car and engine?
posted a couple on my Media for you...not the best pics, I just purchased the car about a month or so ago and its still sitting outside on a concrete pad. Car is covered in frost in the pics lol...no engine pics yet, sorry...has the 3.8 V6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor