Diesel works!! What next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
I finally got my diesel running. Runs pretty good as she is but what could be done to enhance the performance of these things? Gearing? Intake or exhaust parts? I understand they were never meant to be much more than what I have now... but anybody know something I don't?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The Olds diesel is a tragic cul-de-sac. There's not much that can be done to increase power. Joe Mondello used to turn the diesel blocks into stout gas engines, but it was a major undertaking. If you are hard over on a diesel in your G, jump over to the posts we have been ping-ponging about a 6.2L TD in the 'Most Unusual Engine' thread. Sadly, your trans is set up of the BOP engine bolt pattern, so you'd need to change the trans too or use an adapter plate.

Drive it until it dies, and keep a lookout for an Olds 455...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Enjoy it as is !! I believe it is a 105hp engine - if you got a 50% improvement out of it you still wouldn't have anything.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
If you want to spend a metric crap-ton of money, you could do a Duramax swap and have some real power, but unfortunately, the options are pretty limited with the 5.7 diesel.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Make the air cleaner a dual snorkel to start. Get headers, Olds 260 through 403 gas application bolt right on and true dual exhaust with an H or X pipe. The Sanderson shorty or Hedman shorty or G body long tube are your best reasonable priced headers.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Has anyone tried to use a military diesel from 5/4 (Chevy p/u), Blazer, or Humvee? I Believe they are based/simular to the original 350. Some newer Humvees have turbos on them.

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
I'll definitely try better intake and headers. Does the main problem of not being able to build these things stem from the head gaskets blowing out under more pressure? Anyway of fixing that besides adding better studs?

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
I finally got my diesel running. Runs pretty good as she is but what could be done to enhance the performance of these things? Gearing? Intake or exhaust parts? I understand they were never meant to be much more than what I have now... but anybody know something I don't?
Make sure you head on down to the local Tractor Supply and get some stanadyne fuel additive as the diesel fuel now a days lacks the Lubricity that injector pump on our cars need. The pump will surely fail without proper lubrication. I love my Diesel.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor