Diff assembly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I've spent most of yesterday shimming my pinion and diff carrier... must have had it apart 12+ times.... everything is new except for the diff housing and the carrier bearing caps/bolts

an issue with the pinion surfaced on final assembly. the only thing that changed was now i have a crush sleeve and the new pinion bearing is now pressed on (i made a setup bearing with a same part # timken)

now when i rotate the pinion yoke there is a high drag spot, not terrible as i can still turn it with my hand.... pics of the gear mesh are attached, i think it looks about perfect (chime in if not). I rotated the pinion by hand for a while, so the gear marking compound is on all the teeth...

i am inclined to go ahead and run this thing with the wheels off the ground for a while to see if it works itself out. what do you guys think?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_000717180.jpg
    IMG_20190224_000717180.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20190224_000732120.jpg
    IMG_20190224_000732120.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Pattern looks good to me. Give you a tech tip. Next time you have to set up gears, keep all the shims from the old setup and reuse them in the new setup in the same place. 95% chance you won't have to adjust it at all. You're shimming for the housing, not the gears or carrier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It's a little late now, but was there some chud on the diff or ring gear that might be holding that one spot high?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Looks great - a bearing not being lubed on every roller will cause your bindy spot.

Run it!!!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The pinion gear/bearing needs a pre-load. Measured with an inch-pounds toque wrench, what is your's at? What is the spec for new gears? When you rotate the pinion does the torque read higher at the sticky spot?

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
64nailhead --- thank you!

bonnewagon --- thanks for your response also. on the pinion bearing preload i went with the factory specs, which were different than what came with the gears (richmond). I had 12-13 inch pounds preload on the pinion bearings. factory spec calls for 12-15, the richmond gears said 25... while reading the richmond instructions i lost faith because its generic and covers several different rears.

2nd question - yes, it reads higher on the sticky spot. on that spot the highest i read was 50 inch pounds -- but not everytime. that is 50 inch pounds total preload (pinion & carrier, no axles), because i only felt this after i got everything fully assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor