Differences in steel Cowl Hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
When my wagon was in the body shop I went shopping for a cowl hood. My first choice was Goodmark but they were out of stock. I called Goodmark directly and I was told there was a problem with the dies at the plant where they were made and they had no idea of when they were going to restart production. Then the guy told me to call other vendors. He said all the metal cowl hoods were made at the same plant and just reboxed for different sellers. I got mine through a local place that sold AMD.
I wouldnt go through a place like Summit or any online vendors. If its damaged in shipping you have to deal with it. Buying it local, if its damaged they have to get a new hood and they deal with the BS.
The only thing I didnt think about was the slope of the wagons windshield. I have to come up with something that prevents the hood from going all the way up because its going to hit the glass.

View attachment 167498

View attachment 167499
Wow. I never thought about the possibility of hood to windshield spacial issues.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I would have thought 'windshield forward' they would be the same as 2drs/El Caminos? Interesting info....
The windshield (which is different than coupes) stands up more on the sedans/wagons than the coupes, everything forward of the cowl is the same.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Make sure the wipers will clear with the hood open too

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
When my wagon was in the body shop I went shopping for a cowl hood. My first choice was Goodmark but they were out of stock. I called Goodmark directly and I was told there was a problem with the dies at the plant where they were made and they had no idea of when they were going to restart production. Then the guy told me to call other vendors. He said all the metal cowl hoods were made at the same plant and just reboxed for different sellers. I got mine through a local place that sold AMD.
I wouldnt go through a place like Summit or any online vendors. If its damaged in shipping you have to deal with it. Buying it local, if its damaged they have to get a new hood and they deal with the BS.
The only thing I didnt think about was the slope of the wagons windshield. I have to come up with something that prevents the hood from going all the way up because its going to hit the glass.

View attachment 167498

View attachment 167499
That's good to know. That is the cowl look I like, but if its not going to fit, I may have to rethink it.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Is it going to hit vs it hits the glass? This is my car (not Camino) I don't know that the windshield angle is different. I have 1.5in gap at full open position. There is plenty of room for the wiper sweep too.

Attachments

• Hood Clearance (3).jpg
    Hood Clearance (3).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 106
  • Hood Clearance (4).jpg
    Hood Clearance (4).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor